1st Full Pool Season Approaching - Need New Pump/Filter

stslimited84

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 3, 2011
North East
Hey all,

After a successful first, albeit short, pool season at our new house I'm preparing for our first FULL season. The pump is old, loud, and horribly inefficient. I'm looking for a new pump that is quiet and efficient. Along with that, the D.E. filter we have seems to do the job but is also quite old and I wouldnt mind getting a new one. The pool is a 25000 gallon concrete/plaster pool.

Can you guys give me recommendations on this equipment, including power/size recommendations? I was considering the Pentair Intelliflo but an open to suggestions.

For the filter I'm not sure where to go with it. Was looking at something like these:

http://www.pentairpool.com/pool-pro/pro ... rs-139.htm

http://www.pentairpool.com/pool-pro/pro ... es-171.htm

Something that is easy to clean/maintain.

Thanks in advance! :)

I'd go with the Quad 80 for a filter.

If your electric rates are high or you have enough water features to warrant it the Intelliflo would be a good option. However if you live where the electric rate is less than about 20¢ per kwh then a 1hp 2-speed Whisperflo would probably be a better choice.

Pump size greatly depends on your pool setup and plumbing. I am sure Mark will be along to help you with this. In the mean time describe your setup:
What size plumbing?
How many lines for suction to pad?
How many lines for return to pool?
Number of eye balls for returns?
Any water features?
Solar?
What equipment do you have?

I am currently figuring this out for myself and was about to go with the WhisperFlo -3 (-24) and then learned that I could go even smaller. Many people just run 3/4 HP 2-speeds for basic setups including solar.

jblauert said:
Pump size greatly depends on your pool setup and plumbing. I am sure Mark will be along to help you with this. In the mean time describe your setup:
What size plumbing? - 1.5"
How many lines for suction to pad? - 2 main drains at bottom of the pool, one skimmer
How many lines for return to pool? - not entirely sure - see next answer
Number of eye balls for returns? - two return jets
Any water features? - nada
Solar? - not as of now, but i havent been in the pool game long enough to know about it sufficiently, although that is another topic i want to go into :)
What equipment do you have? - as far as what?

I am currently figuring this out for myself and was about to go with the WhisperFlo -3 (-24) and then learned that I could go even smaller. Many people just run 3/4 HP 2-speeds for basic setups including solar.

stslimited84 said:
jblauert said:
What size plumbing? - 1.5"
How many lines for suction to pad? - 2 main drains at bottom of the pool, one skimmer
How many lines for return to pool? - not entirely sure - see next answer
Number of eye balls for returns? - two return jets
Any water features? - nada
Solar? - not as of now, but i havent been in the pool game long enough to know about it sufficiently, although that is another topic i want to go into :)
What equipment do you have? - as far as what?

Does the floor drains connect to the skimmer or run to the pad where you have valves to select them?
Are there any valves exiting the filter? If not, then I would guess you have one run back to the pool to the 2 outlets.
What is your current pump/motor and filter (type/size)?
What is your pressure on your filter when it is clean (if you have a gauge)?

This might be more info than is needed, but gives a clear picture of your setup for the best advice. Actually adding a picture of you pad/pool could be helpful too ... we like pictures :)

jblauert said:
Does the floor drains connect to the skimmer or run to the pad where you have valves to select them? - Not sure. I can draw water from strictly the floor drains, strictly the skimmer, or a combo of both.
Are there any valves exiting the filter? If not, then I would guess you have one run back to the pool to the 2 outlets. - Pics attached :)
What is your current pump/motor and filter (type/size) - Pics of filter attached. The pump is super old and I have to go out and get alot closer to attempt reading the make, if i even can?
What is your pressure on your filter when it is clean (if you have a gauge)? - if i remember correctly, it was around 12-13 psi...was told to backwash when it got to 20, although it never did

This might be more info than is needed, but gives a clear picture of your setup for the best advice. Actually adding a picture of you pad/pool could be helpful too ... we like pictures :)

2rpd3rk.jpg

2l8w07d.jpg

34ye650.jpg

11lsv2q.jpg

a3fi45.jpg

2mw84kl.jpg

zmjhia.jpg

n9ueq.jpg

2hcdteh.jpg

25fturn.jpg

as you can see the setup is quite messy. This was how the previous home owner had it. I plan on purchasing the new equipment and pouring a concrete pad so all the equipment can sit on a level surface together. The heater piping had to be disconnected b/c they didnt use the proper pvc and it warped due to the high temps. I have to figure out what I'm going to do about that. The connectors are expensive and the heater has issues. Hoping to maybe get it replaced under the home warranty that came with the house once I add the pool on. I also am going to replace that pool timer with a digital one.

Either way...here are the pics :)

let me know what your thoughts are...on everything

Actually that plumbing does not look too bad and nice that everything is clearly labeled.

I see you have a spa, so that could influence the pump size, but with the blower, may still not need very big pump.

Since you can select the floor vs. skimmer at the pad, your floor drain is plumbed to the pump and not to the skimmer (which is good since you can achieve more flow and control.

So you have a pressure side cleaner that you can choose instead of the filter?

And then you have 1 return to the pool and 1 to the spa (which must be cold with no heater :))
With the valves in the picture is the system on? It looks like you have the cleaner closed AND the return closed which does not seem good.

I have a similar heater, can't you just screw new CPVC fittings in and maybe use some CPVC pipe out for a little ways? Or are there other issues as well?

Oh Mark would also want to know the distance from the pad to the pool?
And the height of the pump above water level?

jblauert said:
Actually that plumbing does not look too bad and nice that everything is clearly labeled.

I see you have a spa, so that could influence the pump size, but with the blower, may still not need very big pump.

Since you can select the floor vs. skimmer at the pad, your floor drain is plumbed to the pump and not to the skimmer (which is good since you can achieve more flow and control.

So you have a pressure side cleaner that you can choose instead of the filter? - Yes sir

And then you have 1 return to the pool and 1 to the spa (which must be cold with no heater :)) - Yeah, I need to get this in order. Very curious and trying to learn about solar heating...costs, DIY etc

With the valves in the picture is the system on? It looks like you have the cleaner closed AND the return closed which does not seem good. - the pool is currently closed, but I want to have all this sorted b/c with the weather we've been having in PA, I'm hoping for an early April opening...especially if i can figure out solar

I have a similar heater, can't you just screw new CPVC fittings in and maybe use some CPVC pipe out for a little ways? Or are there other issues as well? - I would love to throw on some new cpvc fittings, but everywhere i looked last year said they are pool fittings specifically sold by the heater manufacturer that i couldnt buy at a plumbing store...was i misinformed?

Oh Mark would also want to know the distance from the pad to the pool? - approx. 33 feet
And the height of the pump above water level? - 6"-1'. basically the pool is the same level as the top of the pool, maybe a couple inches higher

Thanks for talking it out and helping :)

I guess I am not sure about the "special" heater fittings. On my Raypac they certainly just look like threaded fittings.

What do you want to know about Solar? ... or maybe you can start another topic about that?
Solar is NOT going to be enough for a spa/hot tub. But it will help warm everything up. You would still need a gas/electric heater if you want the hot tub closer to 100 degrees.

I paid ~$5000 at my last house to have solar installed.
I am currently working on installing panels myself at my current house ... found used panels on Craigslist ... probably going to run my ~$1000 for materials (could have been less if I would have realized some of the required hardware was missing for the panels). If you want to go DIY, I would recommend getting the square panels and avoiding the "irrigation hose" route ... not as cost effective for similar heating even for NEW panels.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
jblauert said:
I guess I am not sure about the "special" heater fittings. On my Raypac they certainly just look like threaded fittings.

What do you want to know about Solar? ... or maybe you can start another topic about that?
Solar is NOT going to be enough for a spa/hot tub. But it will help warm everything up. You would still need a gas/electric heater if you want the hot tub closer to 100 degrees.

I paid ~$5000 at my last house to have solar installed.
I am currently working on installing panels myself at my current house ... found used panels on Craigslist ... probably going to run my ~$1000 for materials (could have been less if I would have realized some of the required hardware was missing for the panels). If you want to go DIY, I would recommend getting the square panels and avoiding the "irrigation hose" route ... not as cost effective for similar heating even for NEW panels.

They look like threaded fittings but arent standard sizes. I figure the manufacturer's do this so you have to buy from them at their inflated prices. Was the same way when I tried locating a fitting for my leaking filter last year too.

I have several questions about solar which ill prob start a different thread on...want to clear up these equipment questions in this thread :p

stslimited84 said:
They look like threaded fittings but arent standard sizes. I figure the manufacturer's do this so you have to buy from them at their inflated prices. Was the same way when I tried locating a fitting for my leaking filter last year too.

I have several questions about solar which ill prob start a different thread on...want to clear up these equipment questions in this thread :p

The Raypak part number for the connectors you need is 006723F. I just bought them last week for approx 20.00 shipped for the pair.

Regards,

Jay

What is it about the filter that you don't like. The house we bought had a Pentair SMBW60, which is a stainless DE filter. This has worked quite well and does an amazing job of "polishing" the water in a short period of time. I have heard here of the newer fiberglass and plastic ones being damaged by UV exposure, something of little concern with the stainless filters. Since I can still source parts for it, we're keeping it for the moment.

One thing nice about variable speed pumps is that you can ramp up the speed for cleaning and skimming purposes. Our pool gets quite a bit of debris in it, so having the option to ramp it up to 2750 RMP for running a vacuum side cleaner along with full skimming helps to get the junk out of the pool. It's also nice to have the power to run the spa jets. When we just need water cycling, we run the pump at 1500 RPM, and at this speed it saves lots of money and is nearly silent. A 2-speed pump at a larger size (say 2hp) would accomplish nearly the same, but I really like the features on the VF pumps from Pentair and received a nice rebate from our electric company for the purchase. Just keep in mind that there are times when the higher flow rates can be helpful. BTW, our tiered electric rates here in SoCal max out at about 31 cents per kWh, so having a VF pump is nearly imperative. YMMV, but don't undersize your new pump.

CraigMW said:
What is it about the filter that you don't like. The house we bought had a Pentair SMBW60, which is a stainless DE filter. This has worked quite well and does an amazing job of "polishing" the water in a short period of time. I have heard here of the newer fiberglass and plastic ones being damaged by UV exposure, something of little concern with the stainless filters. Since I can still source parts for it, we're keeping it for the moment.

One thing nice about variable speed pumps is that you can ramp up the speed for cleaning and skimming purposes. Our pool gets quite a bit of debris in it, so having the option to ramp it up to 2750 RMP for running a vacuum side cleaner along with full skimming helps to get the junk out of the pool. It's also nice to have the power to run the spa jets. When we just need water cycling, we run the pump at 1500 RPM, and at this speed it saves lots of money and is nearly silent. A 2-speed pump at a larger size (say 2hp) would accomplish nearly the same, but I really like the features on the VF pumps from Pentair and received a nice rebate from our electric company for the purchase. Just keep in mind that there are times when the higher flow rates can be helpful. BTW, our tiered electric rates here in SoCal max out at about 31 cents per kWh, so having a VF pump is nearly imperative. YMMV, but don't undersize your new pump.

The current filter has some plumbing leaks and is fairly old. It's doing the job, but if I'm replacing the pump with a new pentair I was figuring may as well do them both at the same time from the same quality company.

Yeah i dont want to undersize or oversize my pump for that matter, which is why im here asking for help doing so :cool:

griffths said:
stslimited84 said:

The Raypak part number for the connectors you need is 006723F. I just bought them last week for approx 20.00 shipped for the pair.

Regards,

Jay

Awesome, thanks for the part number!

Where did you buy it?

Well from reading while waiting for replies, I've come to the conclusion a 3/4 HP pump should fit the bill. Does that sound about right?

Bama suggested the Pentair Quad 80 and a 2 speed 1 HP whisper flo.

Based on that recommendation, which one of these?

WFDS-3, WFDS-4, WFDS-24 or WFDS-26

It seems the difference is between the hp ratings, full and up, but im not sure which one is most appropriate?

For the filter I was leaning towards the quad 100 b/c i figure more filtration isnt a bad thing.

Does anybody else have any input? Concur with the above recommendation, something different?

I'm looking to pick it up soon.

WFDS-3 & WFDS-24 are the exact same pumps just rated differently. The WFDS-4 & WFDS-26 are the same as well.

Either of those will work fine. I'd go with the one that's readily available and less expensive.

Either the Quad 80 or 100 will be more than adequate for your pool. I agree that more filter is better and of the cost is close I'd probably go for the 100 as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.