1st Full Pool Season Approaching - Need New Pump/Filter

Bama Rambler said:
WFDS-3 & WFDS-24 are the exact same pumps just rated differently. The WFDS-4 & WFDS-26 are the same as well.

Either of those will work fine. I'd go with the one that's readily available and less expensive.

Either the Quad 80 or 100 will be more than adequate for your pool. I agree that more filter is better and of the cost is close I'd probably go for the 100 as well.

Thanks for the quick reply Bama, I appreciate you chiming in!

1) Question for ya, on pentair's site they have the flow chart...Curve A,F for the wfds 3 and 24, Curve B, G for wfds 4 and 26...Am I correct the smaller curve (a/b) is for the low speed and larger curve *f, g) is for high speed? I'm trying to read the chart and if my reading is correct it would seem like low speed wouldnt move much water based on my piping info listed earlier in the forum.

2) the difference in price online between the filters is about 60 bucks so i think ill go for the 100. Have you heard of a1poolsupply.com or backyard pool superstore?

3) I'm going to need a new multiport correct? can you recommend one or point me in the right direction?

4) Are the unions on these pieces of equipment standard sizing that i can pick up at a plumbing store or home depot in case i would need to replace something or are they specialty pieces available from only pentair?

thanks again!

1) You are correct the lower curve is for low speed and the higher curve is for high speed. You'll be surprised by how much flow you'l get. Remember as the flow goes down your dyanamic head goes down so on low speed you'll be pumping about half the flow on low as you do on high.

2) Good call.

3) The pentair site has them listed on the bottom of the filter page. You need to be sure to get the one they recommended. You'll need either the 261050 or the 261055. The 261050 is a HiFlow valve and the 261055 is a standard multiport. I'd get the HiFlow because it has a lower head loss.

4) The bulkhead unions on the eqiupment itself is special but any plumbing unions are standard. You'll get both halves of any bulkhead unions on the equipment when you buy it.

P.S. You could get the 261049 if you want to do your own plumbing.

I was just about to buy a Whisperflo when I realized that the -3/-24 was 115V and that might be pushing my current wiring situation (I am instead likely getting a 230V Superflo). When looking for the pump you should check both part numbers. On one site I found the -24 was $475 and the -3 was $551. A $75 / 15% difference even though they are effectively the same pump.

pentair wfds-3 - $582
pentair wfds-24 - $543.94

vs

pentair wfds-4 - $599.95
pentair wfds-26 - $556.94

Best i could find on the net...looks like the wfds-26 the way to go. do you concur?

With the pump/filter, are they pretty easy to hookup/plumb?

stslimited84 said:
pentair wfds-3 - $582
pentair wfds-24 - $543.94

vs

pentair wfds-4 - $599.95
pentair wfds-26 - $556.94

Best i could find on the net...looks like the wfds-26 the way to go. do you concur?

With the pump/filter, are they pretty easy to hookup/plumb?

Why do you want the bigger pump? Just because it is only slightly more $ and you get more POWER!!!??? {I am struggling avoiding this line of thinking myself} The thing is the -26 will always cost more to run than the -24 for very little GPM increase. So the longer you have the -24 the more money you will be saving in electricity.

Sending you a PM.

As far as plumbing hook-up, it does not look like you have much pipe to play with on the inlet side, so it may be a little tricky. Hopefully there is enough pipe so that you do not have to get new valves in front of the pump. You may want to push the pump back some and add unions (if the pump does not have them) so that it is easier next time you need to pull the pump off.

Pm replied. It seems as tho most of my pics have been deleted from tinypic already...:( wth?

as far as piping...i'm going to be adding a concrete pad behind the current equipment to put all the new shiny stuff on. Yeah the pipe isnt much at all, i guess I'll need a new valve there, but that would allow me to add unions in like you said.

I mean it seems fairly simple to do the pvc piping...unless i missing something.

The reason I need to go 230V is that my pad is 100+ feet from the house panel and is run with 12 AWG wire. Putting up to 14 amps 115V on one leg of that for the -3 would give a fairly significant voltage drop which could be bad for the motor. If you have a pool panel fed by larger wire or are close to your home panel, you may be able to use the 115V -3.

I have no real high GPM needs so will be getting a SuperFlo (slightly smaller pump) that is 230V (SF-N2-1A) and is also $75 cheaper than the -3. This could be an option for you as well (although I do not have a spa).

jblauert said:
The reason I need to go 230V is that my pad is 100+ feet from the house panel and is run with 12 AWG wire. Putting up to 14 amps 115V on one leg of that for the -3 would give a fairly significant voltage drop which could be bad for the motor. If you have a pool panel fed by larger wire or are close to your home panel, you may be able to use the 115V -3.

I have no real high GPM needs so will be getting a SuperFlo (slightly smaller pump) that is 230V (SF-N2-1A) and is also $75 cheaper than the -3. This could be an option for you as well (although I do not have a spa).

I'll have to have my contractor friend check it out for me. Its located right next to the house.

I'm checking prices now for jandy valves...they are better than what i thought they were going to be.

jblauert said:

I have an attached spa...would the superflo still be viable or just stick with the whisperflo?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Purchased the WFDS-26, and will be picking up the Quad 100 with the HiFlow 261050.

Couple of questions:

1) I need a recommendation on a digital timer to use with the WFDS-26. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, just something that is digital which allows me to program a couple on/off times and will work with the 2 speed wfds-26

2) If one of you plumbing gurus could give me a suggested plumbing setup for the new equipment that would be fantastic. i.e. using unions and where, etc.

Thanks guys/gals!

The Intermatic PE153 is a great choice for a timer.

I'd use 2" piping everywhere I could. You should put a union before the pump, between the pump and filter, and after the filter. That way you can remove each piece if you need to.

Bama Rambler said:
The Intermatic PE153 is a great choice for a timer.

I'd use 2" piping everywhere I could. You should put a union before the pump, between the pump and filter, and after the filter. That way you can remove each piece if you need to.

Thanks for the response bama!

That looks great but is a bit pricey for me. What do you think of this?

Intermatic P1353ME 3-Circuit Pool/Spa Digital Time Switch - Link Below:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DS ... FGK5VRK7JS

Also, whats the best place to buy refill chemicals for the taylor test kit?

Bama Rambler said:
That's a good timer. I think I have a wiring diagram somewhere on hooking a 2-speed pump to it. Let me know if you need it.

Sweet, thanks. I'm having a pool guy come to see what he wants to install the new equip so I can weigh the cost against doing it myself.

Are you still in favor of the QUAD DE 100? It looks great but I just want to make sure before I go ahead on it. I should be able to pick it up for around $780.

I'm thinking doubling the current filtration size of 48 sq ft to 100 sq ft will be significantly sweet; however with that said I want to make sure I'm not missing out on a better alternative.

Here's one way to do it.
[attachment=0:1u5w4h88]P1353ME Wiring Diagram.jpg[/attachment:1u5w4h88]
I can modify it if you'll give me how you want to operate it.

Just omit the booster and spa stuff if you're just running a 2-speed pump.
You need to use mode 2 for a 2-speed and an aux independantly, or mode 4 for a 2-speed and a cleaner.

Attachments

• P1353ME Wiring Diagram.jpg
    P1353ME Wiring Diagram.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 42

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.