Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 51

Thread: 1st Full Pool Season Approaching - Need New Pump/Filter

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    135

    1st Full Pool Season Approaching - Need New Pump/Filter

    Hey all,

    After a successful first, albeit short, pool season at our new house I'm preparing for our first FULL season. The pump is old, loud, and horribly inefficient. I'm looking for a new pump that is quiet and efficient. Along with that, the D.E. filter we have seems to do the job but is also quite old and I wouldnt mind getting a new one. The pool is a 25000 gallon concrete/plaster pool.

    Can you guys give me recommendations on this equipment, including power/size recommendations? I was considering the Pentair Intelliflo but an open to suggestions.

    For the filter I'm not sure where to go with it. Was looking at something like these:

    http://www.pentairpool.com/pool-pro/pro ... rs-139.htm

    http://www.pentairpool.com/pool-pro/pro ... es-171.htm

    Something that is easy to clean/maintain.

    Thanks in advance!
    25,000 gallon Concrete/Plaster Pool
    Pentair WFDS-26 - Installed Spring 2012
    Pentair Quad DE 100 - Installed Spring 2012
    Pentair Kreepy Krauly 820 - In Service 05/26/2013
    K-2006 Test kit, Intermatic P1353me Digital Timer, Stenner 85MHP5

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad Bama Rambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SouthWest Alabama
    Posts
    22,347

    Re: 1st Full Pool Season Approaching - Need New Pump/Filter

    I'd go with the Quad 80 for a filter.

    If your electric rates are high or you have enough water features to warrant it the Intelliflo would be a good option. However if you live where the electric rate is less than about 20¢ per kwh then a 1hp 2-speed Whisperflo would probably be a better choice.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    135

    Re: 1st Full Pool Season Approaching - Need New Pump/Filter

    Thanks for the reply.

    Electric rates are about 11 cents per kwh.

    I see there are two whisperflos available including the "XF" version. Which would you recommend and what is an appropriate power rating for my pool? 1.5 hp?
    25,000 gallon Concrete/Plaster Pool
    Pentair WFDS-26 - Installed Spring 2012
    Pentair Quad DE 100 - Installed Spring 2012
    Pentair Kreepy Krauly 820 - In Service 05/26/2013
    K-2006 Test kit, Intermatic P1353me Digital Timer, Stenner 85MHP5

  4. Back To Top    #4
    Mod Squad jblizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    37,389

    Re: 1st Full Pool Season Approaching - Need New Pump/Filter

    Pump size greatly depends on your pool setup and plumbing. I am sure Mark will be along to help you with this. In the mean time describe your setup:
    What size plumbing?
    How many lines for suction to pad?
    How many lines for return to pool?
    Number of eye balls for returns?
    Any water features?
    Solar?
    What equipment do you have?

    I am currently figuring this out for myself and was about to go with the WhisperFlo -3 (-24) and then learned that I could go even smaller. Many people just run 3/4 HP 2-speeds for basic setups including solar.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    135

    Re: 1st Full Pool Season Approaching - Need New Pump/Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by jblauert
    Pump size greatly depends on your pool setup and plumbing. I am sure Mark will be along to help you with this. In the mean time describe your setup:
    What size plumbing? - 1.5"
    How many lines for suction to pad? - 2 main drains at bottom of the pool, one skimmer
    How many lines for return to pool? - not entirely sure - see next answer
    Number of eye balls for returns? - two return jets
    Any water features? - nada
    Solar? - not as of now, but i havent been in the pool game long enough to know about it sufficiently, although that is another topic i want to go into
    What equipment do you have? - as far as what?

    I am currently figuring this out for myself and was about to go with the WhisperFlo -3 (-24) and then learned that I could go even smaller. Many people just run 3/4 HP 2-speeds for basic setups including solar.
    25,000 gallon Concrete/Plaster Pool
    Pentair WFDS-26 - Installed Spring 2012
    Pentair Quad DE 100 - Installed Spring 2012
    Pentair Kreepy Krauly 820 - In Service 05/26/2013
    K-2006 Test kit, Intermatic P1353me Digital Timer, Stenner 85MHP5

  6. Back To Top    #6
    Mod Squad jblizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    37,389

    Re: 1st Full Pool Season Approaching - Need New Pump/Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by stslimited84
    Quote Originally Posted by jblauert
    Pump size greatly depends on your pool setup and plumbing. I am sure Mark will be along to help you with this. In the mean time describe your setup:
    What size plumbing? - 1.5"
    How many lines for suction to pad? - 2 main drains at bottom of the pool, one skimmer
    How many lines for return to pool? - not entirely sure - see next answer
    Number of eye balls for returns? - two return jets
    Any water features? - nada
    Solar? - not as of now, but i havent been in the pool game long enough to know about it sufficiently, although that is another topic i want to go into
    What equipment do you have? - as far as what?

    I am currently figuring this out for myself and was about to go with the WhisperFlo -3 (-24) and then learned that I could go even smaller. Many people just run 3/4 HP 2-speeds for basic setups including solar.
    Does the floor drains connect to the skimmer or run to the pad where you have valves to select them?
    Are there any valves exiting the filter? If not, then I would guess you have one run back to the pool to the 2 outlets.
    What is your current pump/motor and filter (type/size)?
    What is your pressure on your filter when it is clean (if you have a gauge)?

    This might be more info than is needed, but gives a clear picture of your setup for the best advice. Actually adding a picture of you pad/pool could be helpful too ... we like pictures
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    135

    Re: 1st Full Pool Season Approaching - Need New Pump/Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by jblauert
    Does the floor drains connect to the skimmer or run to the pad where you have valves to select them? - Not sure. I can draw water from strictly the floor drains, strictly the skimmer, or a combo of both.
    Are there any valves exiting the filter? If not, then I would guess you have one run back to the pool to the 2 outlets. - Pics attached
    What is your current pump/motor and filter (type/size) - Pics of filter attached. The pump is super old and I have to go out and get alot closer to attempt reading the make, if i even can?
    What is your pressure on your filter when it is clean (if you have a gauge)? - if i remember correctly, it was around 12-13 psi...was told to backwash when it got to 20, although it never did

    This might be more info than is needed, but gives a clear picture of your setup for the best advice. Actually adding a picture of you pad/pool could be helpful too ... we like pictures




















    as you can see the setup is quite messy. This was how the previous home owner had it. I plan on purchasing the new equipment and pouring a concrete pad so all the equipment can sit on a level surface together. The heater piping had to be disconnected b/c they didnt use the proper pvc and it warped due to the high temps. I have to figure out what I'm going to do about that. The connectors are expensive and the heater has issues. Hoping to maybe get it replaced under the home warranty that came with the house once I add the pool on. I also am going to replace that pool timer with a digital one.

    Either way...here are the pics

    let me know what your thoughts are...on everything
    25,000 gallon Concrete/Plaster Pool
    Pentair WFDS-26 - Installed Spring 2012
    Pentair Quad DE 100 - Installed Spring 2012
    Pentair Kreepy Krauly 820 - In Service 05/26/2013
    K-2006 Test kit, Intermatic P1353me Digital Timer, Stenner 85MHP5

  8. Back To Top    #8
    Mod Squad jblizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    37,389

    Re: 1st Full Pool Season Approaching - Need New Pump/Filter

    Actually that plumbing does not look too bad and nice that everything is clearly labeled.

    I see you have a spa, so that could influence the pump size, but with the blower, may still not need very big pump.

    Since you can select the floor vs. skimmer at the pad, your floor drain is plumbed to the pump and not to the skimmer (which is good since you can achieve more flow and control.

    So you have a pressure side cleaner that you can choose instead of the filter?

    And then you have 1 return to the pool and 1 to the spa (which must be cold with no heater )
    With the valves in the picture is the system on? It looks like you have the cleaner closed AND the return closed which does not seem good.

    I have a similar heater, can't you just screw new CPVC fittings in and maybe use some CPVC pipe out for a little ways? Or are there other issues as well?

    Oh Mark would also want to know the distance from the pad to the pool?
    And the height of the pump above water level?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    135

    Re: 1st Full Pool Season Approaching - Need New Pump/Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by jblauert
    Actually that plumbing does not look too bad and nice that everything is clearly labeled.

    I see you have a spa, so that could influence the pump size, but with the blower, may still not need very big pump.

    Since you can select the floor vs. skimmer at the pad, your floor drain is plumbed to the pump and not to the skimmer (which is good since you can achieve more flow and control.

    So you have a pressure side cleaner that you can choose instead of the filter? - Yes sir

    And then you have 1 return to the pool and 1 to the spa (which must be cold with no heater ) - Yeah, I need to get this in order. Very curious and trying to learn about solar heating...costs, DIY etc

    With the valves in the picture is the system on? It looks like you have the cleaner closed AND the return closed which does not seem good. - the pool is currently closed, but I want to have all this sorted b/c with the weather we've been having in PA, I'm hoping for an early April opening...especially if i can figure out solar

    I have a similar heater, can't you just screw new CPVC fittings in and maybe use some CPVC pipe out for a little ways? Or are there other issues as well? - I would love to throw on some new cpvc fittings, but everywhere i looked last year said they are pool fittings specifically sold by the heater manufacturer that i couldnt buy at a plumbing store...was i misinformed?

    Oh Mark would also want to know the distance from the pad to the pool? - approx. 33 feet
    And the height of the pump above water level? - 6"-1'. basically the pool is the same level as the top of the pool, maybe a couple inches higher
    Thanks for talking it out and helping
    25,000 gallon Concrete/Plaster Pool
    Pentair WFDS-26 - Installed Spring 2012
    Pentair Quad DE 100 - Installed Spring 2012
    Pentair Kreepy Krauly 820 - In Service 05/26/2013
    K-2006 Test kit, Intermatic P1353me Digital Timer, Stenner 85MHP5

  10. Back To Top    #10
    Mod Squad jblizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    37,389

    Re: 1st Full Pool Season Approaching - Need New Pump/Filter

    I guess I am not sure about the "special" heater fittings. On my Raypac they certainly just look like threaded fittings.

    What do you want to know about Solar? ... or maybe you can start another topic about that?
    Solar is NOT going to be enough for a spa/hot tub. But it will help warm everything up. You would still need a gas/electric heater if you want the hot tub closer to 100 degrees.

    I paid ~$5000 at my last house to have solar installed.
    I am currently working on installing panels myself at my current house ... found used panels on Craigslist ... probably going to run my ~$1000 for materials (could have been less if I would have realized some of the required hardware was missing for the panels). If you want to go DIY, I would recommend getting the square panels and avoiding the "irrigation hose" route ... not as cost effective for similar heating even for NEW panels.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

  11. Back To Top    #11

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    135

    Re: 1st Full Pool Season Approaching - Need New Pump/Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by jblauert
    I guess I am not sure about the "special" heater fittings. On my Raypac they certainly just look like threaded fittings.

    What do you want to know about Solar? ... or maybe you can start another topic about that?
    Solar is NOT going to be enough for a spa/hot tub. But it will help warm everything up. You would still need a gas/electric heater if you want the hot tub closer to 100 degrees.

    I paid ~$5000 at my last house to have solar installed.
    I am currently working on installing panels myself at my current house ... found used panels on Craigslist ... probably going to run my ~$1000 for materials (could have been less if I would have realized some of the required hardware was missing for the panels). If you want to go DIY, I would recommend getting the square panels and avoiding the "irrigation hose" route ... not as cost effective for similar heating even for NEW panels.
    They look like threaded fittings but arent standard sizes. I figure the manufacturer's do this so you have to buy from them at their inflated prices. Was the same way when I tried locating a fitting for my leaking filter last year too.

    I have several questions about solar which ill prob start a different thread on...want to clear up these equipment questions in this thread :P
    25,000 gallon Concrete/Plaster Pool
    Pentair WFDS-26 - Installed Spring 2012
    Pentair Quad DE 100 - Installed Spring 2012
    Pentair Kreepy Krauly 820 - In Service 05/26/2013
    K-2006 Test kit, Intermatic P1353me Digital Timer, Stenner 85MHP5

  12. Back To Top    #12

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    135

    Re: 1st Full Pool Season Approaching - Need New Pump/Filter

    bueler?
    25,000 gallon Concrete/Plaster Pool
    Pentair WFDS-26 - Installed Spring 2012
    Pentair Quad DE 100 - Installed Spring 2012
    Pentair Kreepy Krauly 820 - In Service 05/26/2013
    K-2006 Test kit, Intermatic P1353me Digital Timer, Stenner 85MHP5

  13. Back To Top    #13

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Long Grove, IL
    Posts
    107

    Re: 1st Full Pool Season Approaching - Need New Pump/Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by stslimited84

    They look like threaded fittings but arent standard sizes. I figure the manufacturer's do this so you have to buy from them at their inflated prices. Was the same way when I tried locating a fitting for my leaking filter last year too.

    I have several questions about solar which ill prob start a different thread on...want to clear up these equipment questions in this thread :P
    The Raypak part number for the connectors you need is 006723F. I just bought them last week for approx 20.00 shipped for the pair.

    Regards,

    Jay
    Jay

    28,000 gal in-ground hybrid pool with PacFab Superflow 100 sand filter witn VitroClean media, Intelliflo VS pump, Stenner chlorine pump, Raypak R336A Millivolt Natural Gas Pool Heater

  14. Back To Top    #14

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    696

    Re: 1st Full Pool Season Approaching - Need New Pump/Filter

    What is it about the filter that you don't like. The house we bought had a Pentair SMBW60, which is a stainless DE filter. This has worked quite well and does an amazing job of "polishing" the water in a short period of time. I have heard here of the newer fiberglass and plastic ones being damaged by UV exposure, something of little concern with the stainless filters. Since I can still source parts for it, we're keeping it for the moment.

    One thing nice about variable speed pumps is that you can ramp up the speed for cleaning and skimming purposes. Our pool gets quite a bit of debris in it, so having the option to ramp it up to 2750 RMP for running a vacuum side cleaner along with full skimming helps to get the junk out of the pool. It's also nice to have the power to run the spa jets. When we just need water cycling, we run the pump at 1500 RPM, and at this speed it saves lots of money and is nearly silent. A 2-speed pump at a larger size (say 2hp) would accomplish nearly the same, but I really like the features on the VF pumps from Pentair and received a nice rebate from our electric company for the purchase. Just keep in mind that there are times when the higher flow rates can be helpful. BTW, our tiered electric rates here in SoCal max out at about 31 cents per kWh, so having a VF pump is nearly imperative. YMMV, but don't undersize your new pump.
    38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.

  15. Back To Top    #15

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    135

    Re: 1st Full Pool Season Approaching - Need New Pump/Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by CraigMW
    What is it about the filter that you don't like. The house we bought had a Pentair SMBW60, which is a stainless DE filter. This has worked quite well and does an amazing job of "polishing" the water in a short period of time. I have heard here of the newer fiberglass and plastic ones being damaged by UV exposure, something of little concern with the stainless filters. Since I can still source parts for it, we're keeping it for the moment.

    One thing nice about variable speed pumps is that you can ramp up the speed for cleaning and skimming purposes. Our pool gets quite a bit of debris in it, so having the option to ramp it up to 2750 RMP for running a vacuum side cleaner along with full skimming helps to get the junk out of the pool. It's also nice to have the power to run the spa jets. When we just need water cycling, we run the pump at 1500 RPM, and at this speed it saves lots of money and is nearly silent. A 2-speed pump at a larger size (say 2hp) would accomplish nearly the same, but I really like the features on the VF pumps from Pentair and received a nice rebate from our electric company for the purchase. Just keep in mind that there are times when the higher flow rates can be helpful. BTW, our tiered electric rates here in SoCal max out at about 31 cents per kWh, so having a VF pump is nearly imperative. YMMV, but don't undersize your new pump.

    The current filter has some plumbing leaks and is fairly old. It's doing the job, but if I'm replacing the pump with a new pentair I was figuring may as well do them both at the same time from the same quality company.

    Yeah i dont want to undersize or oversize my pump for that matter, which is why im here asking for help doing so
    25,000 gallon Concrete/Plaster Pool
    Pentair WFDS-26 - Installed Spring 2012
    Pentair Quad DE 100 - Installed Spring 2012
    Pentair Kreepy Krauly 820 - In Service 05/26/2013
    K-2006 Test kit, Intermatic P1353me Digital Timer, Stenner 85MHP5

  16. Back To Top    #16

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    135

    Re: 1st Full Pool Season Approaching - Need New Pump/Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by griffths
    Quote Originally Posted by stslimited84

    They look like threaded fittings but arent standard sizes. I figure the manufacturer's do this so you have to buy from them at their inflated prices. Was the same way when I tried locating a fitting for my leaking filter last year too.

    I have several questions about solar which ill prob start a different thread on...want to clear up these equipment questions in this thread :P
    The Raypak part number for the connectors you need is 006723F. I just bought them last week for approx 20.00 shipped for the pair.

    Regards,

    Jay
    Awesome, thanks for the part number!

    Where did you buy it?
    25,000 gallon Concrete/Plaster Pool
    Pentair WFDS-26 - Installed Spring 2012
    Pentair Quad DE 100 - Installed Spring 2012
    Pentair Kreepy Krauly 820 - In Service 05/26/2013
    K-2006 Test kit, Intermatic P1353me Digital Timer, Stenner 85MHP5

  17. Back To Top    #17

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Long Grove, IL
    Posts
    107

    Re: 1st Full Pool Season Approaching - Need New Pump/Filter

    Jay

    28,000 gal in-ground hybrid pool with PacFab Superflow 100 sand filter witn VitroClean media, Intelliflo VS pump, Stenner chlorine pump, Raypak R336A Millivolt Natural Gas Pool Heater

  18. Back To Top    #18

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    135

    Re: 1st Full Pool Season Approaching - Need New Pump/Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by griffths

    Thank you sir.


    Anybody with input on pump model and pump sizing recommendations?
    25,000 gallon Concrete/Plaster Pool
    Pentair WFDS-26 - Installed Spring 2012
    Pentair Quad DE 100 - Installed Spring 2012
    Pentair Kreepy Krauly 820 - In Service 05/26/2013
    K-2006 Test kit, Intermatic P1353me Digital Timer, Stenner 85MHP5

  19. Back To Top    #19

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    135

    Re: 1st Full Pool Season Approaching - Need New Pump/Filter

    Well from reading while waiting for replies, I've come to the conclusion a 3/4 HP pump should fit the bill. Does that sound about right?

    Bama suggested the Pentair Quad 80 and a 2 speed 1 HP whisper flo.

    Based on that recommendation, which one of these?

    WFDS-3, WFDS-4, WFDS-24 or WFDS-26

    It seems the difference is between the hp ratings, full and up, but im not sure which one is most appropriate?

    For the filter I was leaning towards the quad 100 b/c i figure more filtration isnt a bad thing.


    Does anybody else have any input? Concur with the above recommendation, something different?

    I'm looking to pick it up soon.
    25,000 gallon Concrete/Plaster Pool
    Pentair WFDS-26 - Installed Spring 2012
    Pentair Quad DE 100 - Installed Spring 2012
    Pentair Kreepy Krauly 820 - In Service 05/26/2013
    K-2006 Test kit, Intermatic P1353me Digital Timer, Stenner 85MHP5

  20. Back To Top    #20
    Mod Squad Bama Rambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SouthWest Alabama
    Posts
    22,347

    Re: 1st Full Pool Season Approaching - Need New Pump/Filter

    WFDS-3 & WFDS-24 are the exact same pumps just rated differently. The WFDS-4 & WFDS-26 are the same as well.

    Either of those will work fine. I'd go with the one that's readily available and less expensive.

    Either the Quad 80 or 100 will be more than adequate for your pool. I agree that more filter is better and of the cost is close I'd probably go for the 100 as well.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •