Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tryclor tabs in floater under cover before pool opening???

1. Back To Top    #1

Tryclor tabs in floater under cover before pool opening???

Hi everyone,

New pool owner here... We bought a house with a pool last September so this will be the first time we've opened a pool. I've been reading that people are opening their pools early this year due to the mild winter and warm spring we are experiencing in the Northeast. I've read that if you leave the cover on too long with the warm weahter, you can get algea growing under the cover.

I live in Southern New Jersey and the temps have been in the 70's for the past couple weeks and they are expected to stay above normal until at least the end of March.

I don't want to open the pool yet since we stand no chance of swimming until at least May, but I was wondering if it would be a good idea to put some tryclor tabs in my floater and put it in the pool, under the cover. The pool was closed by the pool store last year, so I'm not sure what they put in, but I'm assuming it is what ever is recommended.

Thanks,

Kevin
    ---
    30,000 gallon vinyl pool
    Hayward DE Filter
    Hayward Super Pump
    AO Smith 1 1/2 HP Pump (27GPM)
    Polaris 380 Pool Cleaner

Check out the app I created to control my pool equipment from my smartphone:
    i-created-an-app-to-control-pool-equipment-with-smartphone-t61606-20.html

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tryclor tabs in floater under cover before pool opening?

the problem is that there will be no circulation so the chlorine will be concentrated near the floater. If you could anchor it in the center of the pool it may be fine if it's a plaster pool but I wouldn't recommend it if it's a liner pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply... I should have mentioned that it's a vinyl liner pool, so I guess that's a no-go.

Kevin
    ---
    30,000 gallon vinyl pool
    Hayward DE Filter
    Hayward Super Pump
    AO Smith 1 1/2 HP Pump (27GPM)
    Polaris 380 Pool Cleaner

Check out the app I created to control my pool equipment from my smartphone:
    i-created-an-app-to-control-pool-equipment-with-smartphone-t61606-20.html

4. Back To Top    #4

If you could get some way to circulate the water (sump pump, main pump, etc) it'd be a pretty good idea.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit