Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does Sand Filter Require Periodic Sand Replenishment?

1. Back To Top    #1

Does Sand Filter Require Periodic Sand Replenishment?

We're new pool owners, never having owned a pool before. My in-laws said that, when they used to have a sand filter (they have DE now) they would add sand to it a few times a year. Our pool builder didn't say anything about this, and I'm wondering if I should be adding sand to our Pentair Triton II sand filter once in a while? If so, how do I know when it needs sand, and how do I know how much to add?

(Apologize in advance if this is a dumb question!).
    16 x 31, Approx. 12,000 Gal Freeform IG pool; Flagstone coping; Quartzscapes Super Blue plaster finish; Tanning ledge w/2 bubblers; 1 HP Pentair Whisperflo pump, Pentair sand filter; (2) Pentair Intellibrite LEDs w/controller; Easytouch8 w/IC-40 SWG; Salt finish concrete decking.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Does Sand Filter Require Periodic Sand Replenishment?

You shouldn't have to. If you do need to, it would indicate a problem with the filter or an oversized pump causing sand to be washed out.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Does Sand Filter Require Periodic Sand Replenishment?

Thanks John...I'm relieved to know this, as I want to make sure we're doing everything "right".
    16 x 31, Approx. 12,000 Gal Freeform IG pool; Flagstone coping; Quartzscapes Super Blue plaster finish; Tanning ledge w/2 bubblers; 1 HP Pentair Whisperflo pump, Pentair sand filter; (2) Pentair Intellibrite LEDs w/controller; Easytouch8 w/IC-40 SWG; Salt finish concrete decking.