Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: too much sand in sand filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

too much sand in sand filter?

My pressure seems high. I think I put too much sand in which could be increasing the pressure. How many inches above the laterals should the sand be?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: too much sand in sand filter?

Whoa, Welcome to TFP first!

That's not nearly enough info for us to make an informed guess. We need to know what the pressure is, does the gauge go to zero when the pump is off, what filter you have, what other equipment you have and what you're water looks like.

Normal freeboard for a sand filter is about a foot from the top. That's the space where there's no sand.

Having said that it's be very hard to add enough sand to the filter to make the pressure increase. I suspect it's something else.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Just to add to what Bama said, the normal problem with adding too much sand to a sand filter is that sand comes out when you backwash. Filtering is not normally affected by extra sand.

Is your system brand new? Or do you know what your normal/clean filter pressure was before you replaced the sand?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the reply. After a backwash it sit at 16lbs but I just looked at the gauge with the pump off and is at 2 lbs. I think that's the problem.

5. Back To Top    #5

You may have just found the issue. If the gauge doesn't go to zero then you can't trust it at any reading. I'd start by replacing it and see if that's the problem.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit