Iron Treatment and Omni Algaecide 60 and a Fortunate Mistake

Aug 6, 2008
Honolulu
I have not treated my 16 year plus old 10,000 gallon plaster pool for iron stains for well over a year now as I have not been well. Now that I am nearly fully recovered I proceeded to do it the other evening.

Followed the standard method with Ascorbic Acid and then draining and refilling, having brought the pool to shock level for 48 hours and letting it settle back to normal levels before doing the AA treatment.

I have used the Jack's Magenta stuff for well over a year the results were ok but not great, stains still re-appeared. I read today in a previous post of Chem Geek's that he felt the Purple stuff was better overall with Iron stains in a well balanced pool which mine normally is. I will now give the Purple stuff a try and hopefully get a longer period of time before I need to redo the AA treatment.

After having put the Ascorbic acid in the pool I added, one bottle of Magenta stuff, in past Iron treatments I primarily used the Purple stuff, and added an entire bottle of Algaecide 60, sometimes in the past I might use 4 oz of Algaecide 60 , it might have been 11 oz, but this time not thinking I poured the entire 32 oz into the pool. I have not been using Algaecide 60 on a regular weekly basis. The entire pool went cloudy as milk. I thought oh no I am going to have to drain and do this again but it was late and I thought I will deal with it in the morning. I realized that there might be an adverse reaction with this much Algaecide 60 and the Magenta or AA stuff or both.

Next morning the cloudiness had gone and the results were spectacular. Even the very faint stains that had normally remained after previous ascorbic acid treatments had gone. The result is that it basically looks like a brand new plaster job, the best I have ever seen. A fortunate mistake indeed.

I re-filled, balanced the chemicals. My wife is amazed as am I. If I have to do this again in a year or two this would be my preferred method.

Previously when the pool was iron treated with the AA method the walls had in areas a very slight greenish/blue streaks on them once drained and a very very faint yellowish tinge to them when refilled which grew darker in time. This time when the pool was drained there were no such stains. There might have been algae growing under the copper stains or vica versa although I am not sure, which may have been protected from the chlorine shock by the iron stains themselves. This is purely a guess.

One other point of interest, prior to draining the pool, after the overnight treatment, I backwashed the filter for the standard 3 minutes but strangely nothing was cloudy as it usually is.

I will now use the Purple Stuff and Algaecide 60 weekly and hopefully will remain relatively stain free.

Really I do not know why it became so clean but what a great dumb mistake.

Anyone have any ideas as to what might have happened?

Re: Iron Treatment and Omni Algaecide 60 and a Fortunate Mis

You say in one place that you have been using Magenta in the past, but in another place that you have been using Purple in the past. Assuming you have actually been using Magenta in the past: Purple is much better, so it would make sense that you got much better results now that you have tried Purple.

There is no reason I can think of why Algaecide 60 would make any difference to the stains at all.

Re: Iron Treatment and Omni Algaecide 60 and a Fortunate Mis

chem geek,

Thank you for your reply.

Jason Lion,

Maybe I did not make it clear enough in the post. I have been using the Magenta stuff for over a year, prior to this last year I was using the Purple stuff, in other words before early 2011. When I performed the AA treatment I used one 32 oz bottle of Magenta stuff with 32 ozs of Omni Algaecide 60. Going forward I will use the Purple stuff based on chem geek's recommendation. As written before I have not used Algaecide 60 weekly for the last year or so and perhaps longer.

And yes it could certainly be true that the Algaecide 60 had no real effect on this wonderful transformation but then again it certainly did not hurt, except perhaps the additional cost. It is possible we might never know the answer. In future I will use 32 ozs of Omni's Algaecide 60 if and when performing any future AA treatment. This way I do not have to do the AA treatment twice to find out that leaving it out does not give such fine results. That is just my take on the situation, others will obviously do what they think appropriate and that is as it should be.

Thinking this through it could also be that using the Magenta stuff over the last year or so just made the removal of these fainter stains easier when the AA treatment was performed. I will just have to wait until the next AA treatment.

If these faint stains re-appear, as I will not be using the Magenta stuff going forward, then I will know that while the Magenta stuff is not so good on Iron it might be helpful with other staining issues, that remains a possibility.

If then after a future AA treatment these stains re-appear even though I will use 32 oz of Omni's Algaecide 60 and Purple not Magenta during the procedure and weekly then it might be that the Magenta stuff, when used weekly, does indeed help at least with this certain type of stain and that the Algaecide 60 is of no help. That can only be determined in the future.

I will now dose a weekly maintenance amount of Algaecide 60 as an extra protection measure as we have very high UV in Honolulu.

Two hypothetical questions, could it be that as the pH drop is very substanial during the AA treatment and no chlorine is present that by adding this much Algaecide 60 it was more effective in removing algae? If indeed the stain was algae and I do not know if that is true. Or would the very low pH and no chlorine present make no difference to this 32 ozs of Algaecide 60's effect on the algae?

So it remains a mystery. I will advise after the next treatment but that hopefully will not be for some time.

Thank you both for your views on the this matter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.