Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae on pool cover due to warm (hot) early spring.

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae on pool cover due to warm (hot) early spring.

We live in upstate NY north of Syracuse and we use a black tarp for a winter pool cover. There is about 6"-8" of water on top of it. With March temperatures way above normal and lots of sun, there is a lot of algae forming on the cover. Is it a problem? Just to illustrate how warm it has been, the average high for this time of year is 46F. Today we hit 79F. I'm tempted to take the cover off the pool, but I know that sub-freezing temps are still in our future. Thanks in advance for any advice.
    20,000 gal., Jacuzzi 250L Laser Sand Filter, inground w/vinyl liner, 1hp pump motor, TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Algae on pool cover due to warm (hot) early spring.

Obviously black attracts heat thus causing the warmer water for algae to blossom. I'd pour a gallon of Clorox (generic is fine) in the water. That should kill it. When you do take off the cover try not to add the algae water to the pool. Place it on your lawn or driveway and hose it off. Let it dry and a helpful hint I do is sprinkle baby powder of the cover before you roll it up or fold it.
    "When your pool is sick, call the doctor, I make house calls"
    One stop pool shop, I do everything but install them. 9+ years of experience.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Algae on pool cover due to warm (hot) early spring.

The chlorine worked like a charm. I had some powdered chlorine, so I mixed it into a bucket of water and added it. Bye bye green!
    20,000 gal., Jacuzzi 250L Laser Sand Filter, inground w/vinyl liner, 1hp pump motor, TF-100 Test Kit.