Replacing pump

Mar 21, 2012
I have an old pool that has a single speed 2HP pentair whisperflo. I'm thinking on replacing that with a variable speed pump that I can run at low speed for 16-20hrs. The old pump burn 2KW. I'm wondering how difficult it is to swap out the pump.
I'm handy with electrical and somewhat plumbing. I recon, this is what I'll do:

(1) turn off power to panel
(2) disconnect electrical connections to old pump
(3) cut off pipes to pump. and remove pump
(4) install new unions on new pump. Use teflon tape. anything else?
(5) position new pump
(6) connect electrical to new pump.
(7) reconnect pipes to new pump with new pipes as needed. What kind of dope should be used?
(8) prime pump.
(9) startup pump.

I'm thinking of the hayward ecostar. I like the idea I can relocate the control panel. Please help me with tips/tricks etc...

thanks

C Lee

:wave: Welcome :wave:

If you just want to run on low speed, why not just replace with a 2-speed whisperflo? For that mater you may be able to just replace the motor and use the same pump for 1/3 of the price of the Variable pumps.

Trying to take advantage of a rebate on the variable pump?

I am currently learning about this stuff as well, so someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly I am sure.

Yes, there's a $200 rebate from power co. If I use a two-speed I need to add another clock. Additionally, I want more programmability and and remote controller that I can put it somewhere more accessible. The hayward has that feature included.

Another clock or just use a switch to pick high/low speed. From your initial post it just sounded like you wanted to run on low speed.

Be aware that depending on your electricity rates, it may take a long time to break even on the cost of the variable speed. Also note that to get the rebate usually you have to buy locally and have it installed. With only a $200 rebate, you can likely find the pump online for way more savings if you can install it yourself.

Ultimately, I would guess adding another clock and getting the 2 speed motor only is probably cheaper if you just want to have a simple control of high and low speed. If you want more control, then maybe the variable makes more sense if you are willing to spend the money.

Hey H2Ocare, welcome to TFP!

What other equipment do you have? And what brand? If you have all Pentair equipment, I would strongly recommend staying with Pentair (Intelliflo) for your new pump. This is especially important if you have (or want to add) automation. A Pentair pump can 'talk' to a Pentair automation system.

Also, that Hayward pump is quite a bit larger than the Pentair. How much room do you have on your equipment pad?

Lastly, I agree with jblauert that you will find the pump cheapest looking online. Check rebate details about installation requirements/eligibility!

blakej, everything else is old. There's room behind the current motor if the hayward is longer. I don't have any automation system. So there's no reason to stay with pentair. The rebate allows for owner install. So that's not an issue. Just wonder if it's something I can do over a weekend.

If you have all your plumbing fittings on hand a couple hours should cover it. Although as I said before the whisperflo and intelliflo are interchangable so you wouldn't have any plumbing to do. Just unbolt 6 bolts on each pump housing switch them and put 6 bolts back in and do electric your done.

H2Ocare said:
blakej, everything else is old. There's room behind the current motor if the hayward is longer. I don't have any automation system. So there's no reason to stay with pentair. The rebate allows for owner install. So that's not an issue. Just wonder if it's something I can do over a weekend.

I think the Hayward is also wider and maybe taller. So if it fits it should be do-able in less than a weekend following your plan.

Good that the rebate allows owner install, do you have to buy from a local shop? Have you priced them locally?
Still may be able to save more the $200 buying online and forgetting about the rebate.

Do you plan for any other upgrades/automation in the future? Just can't help but think the Ecostar may be overkill and a cheaper option may work ... just trying to open your eyes to other options so you are not blinded by the "rebate".

Good luck with whatever you decide and we are here to help with any issues that may come up. :goodjob:

I agree with jblauert above. I prefer Pentair over Hayward because of price AND (probably more importantly) customer service.

One thing about a self-install is it often compromises the pump warranty. I am all about DIY for that sort of thing, but wanted to make sure you know the details!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
jblauert, The utility co does not restrict where I buy it from. So on-line is fine.
I do plan on upgrading equipment peicemeal later. I thought I'll start with the pump as it saves money on boot.
They I'll add an automatic pool cleaner. Get my son to maintain the pool. add some automation, valves etc... meanwhile the hayward's panel can be remotely mounted is a plus.

Yes, the dimension is about 1/2" wider and about 1" longer. The height of the inlet port is about the same.

That is awesome that you can buy online and get the rebate :whoot:

The rebates I have seen in AZ do not allow this.

Sounds like you have thought this through and have a plan. With the experience listed, you should be able to hook it up in less than a day following your plan.

More questions:
Do I need any kind of high temp gasket sealant on the union thread?
Does the base need to be bolted down to the pad? If so it the base similar between the pentair and hayward?

H2Ocare said:
More questions:
Do I need any kind of high temp gasket sealant on the union thread?
Does the base need to be bolted down to the pad? If so it the base similar between the pentair and hayward?

The Hayward has an actual union fitting, so there is an o-ring to form the seal ... no sealant required.

Not sure about the requirement to bolt the motor down ... mine have not been. The bases look quite different between the Pentair and Hayward, but not exactly sure what you are really asking.

If you are using an ecostar, no Teflon needed. It's has some pretty beefy unions with gaskets. Teflon would be an unnecessary hassle/waste.

I will echo the others' thoughts on the intelliflo/intellipro. I like them better and almost exclusively install them unless automation compatibility or customer requests points me in another direction. Yes, you can remote mount the pad on ecostar, but once you program and tweak it, you won't be messing with it very much and you'll be giving the squirrels something else to chew on. The Pentair pumps are IMO easier to program/tweak and I have seen lots of issues with ecostar(supposedly fixed) whereas only a couple isolated issues with Pentair.

After additional thoughts, I think I'll go the pentair route.

I think I'll get the pentair VS 11018. If I can just keep the wet end and just swap out the dry end. Then everything is done.
I can get a intellitouch controller later for future enhacements?

any comments/advice. This forum is great.

Just make sure you swap the impeller and diffusor as well. The housing is the only thing you can use from the old pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.