Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pollen has turned my clear pool green HELP

1. Back To Top    #1

Pollen has turned my clear pool green HELP

My beautiful clear pool is now green in a matter of 48 hrs from a massive drop in pollen pods the last two days. I am freaked out. What should I do???
    24ft Seaspray Evoluction ABG
    1.5hp Pentair Dyno
    22in Sandfilter
    AquaTrol SWG
    Milton, FL (NW Florida Panhandle just outside of Pensacola)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pollen has turned my clear pool green HELP

Post a full set of test results and then shock if needed. Get some skimmer socks and run the pump 24/7 until it clears. That's about all you can do!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

All testing results are where they need to be I checked it earlier. The pollen pods are dropping like rain the last few days and we have a record high on pollen this year. I can't run the pump unless I am home to which I have been doing and I am only gone a few hours in the am and a few in the PM. I am running on average 8-10hrs a day. ...I can't run it at night because the basket has to be cleaned out about every 30mins to keep from snapping another basket. I am not joking when I say the million oak trees in our yard are dropping like mad. When you go outside to clean the basket and top of the water your hair is covered in pods.
    24ft Seaspray Evoluction ABG
    1.5hp Pentair Dyno
    22in Sandfilter
    AquaTrol SWG
    Milton, FL (NW Florida Panhandle just outside of Pensacola)

4. Back To Top    #4

You're talking about oak worms. Yep, they're really bad. This wind we're getting will help and the rain tomorrow and Friday will too.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

I went through the same thing last year here in north Alabama. Even if your numbers are right on target you will have to shock. I think I would wait until the pollen and oak worms finish falling, otherwise you will be wasting bleach and fighting a losing battle.

We just had several huge oaks cut down Friday. I'm not taking my cover off until all of the limbs and debris have been cleaned up and the pollen gets washed away. I'm hoping I can open it in about 2 weeks.
    AG 18' X 52" Round Pacifica Pool w/ Metal Diamond Unibead Liner. Installed in March 2007.
    2.5 HP Baquapure 2 Speed Pump, 200 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System.

Former Baquacil user
    Converted to BBB in Fall of 2009 - Now I have a truly trouble free pool!

6. Back To Top    #6

P.S. Telling us "All testing results are where they need to be I checked it earlier" doesn't really help. We're numbers types here and really, really want to see the numbers.

pH
    FC
    CC
    TA
    CH
    CYA

It helps us figure out where you are, as far as the balance goes.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator