Cost of hiring someone to set up AGP?

May 19, 2008
gulf coast of Texas
We bought a used Atlantic Prestige metal wall pool. Its 18x52. Hubby and I are planning on doing it ourselves for the leveling and then having my brother and a couple of friends help set it up. But wondered what is the average cost of hiring someone to do the leveling and set up? And where do you find or who do you call for such a job? We live near Victoria Texas and there are a couple of pool stores/builders there..but not sure if I call them or am I looking for someone different.

Normal costs just to set it up and plumb it will run from $400 to a little over $1000.

The hardest part of DIY is the leveling and grading the site. If you take your time and tamp it well, it's not a big job at all. Have a helper or two when standing the wall and you'll be fine.

My 20' pool was estimated at $2500 plus taxes and no haul away of material (sod), although I'm quite far from you adn we only have 1 install company.

I did my install myself, I can confirm that it's definitely achievable for someone who is moderately handy and capable of DIY projects, there are lots of resources online - the most important part is SITE LEVELLING!!!

That said, looking back at all the work, it is a lot of work so if you can get a price that your comfortable with it's worth considering. Bama mentioned 500 bucks, if there was a pro here that would do it for 500 I wouldn't even think twice about paying that.

I paid $800.00 to get my 18' X 52" installed 5 years ago. The site was on a slope and the ground had to be leveled. As cramar said, LEVELING is your main concern! My neighbors bought an AGP the same year we did and decided to install it themselves. Their site looked perfectly level to the naked eye, but they soon found out it wasn't. Their pool lasted 2 years before the side blew out. Looking back, I'm glad we went with the professional install. I'm not saying you can't do it yourself, but I personally wouldn't want to.

800 is a good price for leveling and install. If I could have gotten it that cheap hmmm...who am I kidding, I still probably would have done it myself, since I like to do it "my way" :hammer:

Leveling is definitely the number one priority in an agp install!

linen said:
800 is a good price for leveling and install. If I could have gotten it that cheap hmmm...who am I kidding, I still probably would have done it myself, since I like to do it "my way"

Ha! Your like me, I'd agree to 800 bucks on the forum but when there's a guy in my backyard that wants the go ahead to start.....well, maybe I'll just do it myself.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We paid $1k, which included setup of the pool and all equipment (including heater) and also a bit of back-filling. which was suggested by the pool store. We put down rock and undid it anyway, waste of $.

Other than wasting $50, the rest was great. The installers did a great job and the equipment pad (made out of 16x16 pavers) was leveled very well too.

I'm just glad I'm not wasting$100/mo at the pool store anymore. :lol:

Speedo said:
We paid $1k, which included setup of the pool and all equipment (including heater) and also a bit of back-filling. which was suggested by the pool store. We put down rock and undid it anyway, waste of $.
Sounds like a good deal. I'm curious, what rock did you put down and where...and why was it a waste?
Speedo said:
I'm just glad I'm not wasting$100/mo at the pool store anymore.
:cheers:

linen said:
Sounds like a good deal. I'm curious, what rock did you put down and where...and why was it a waste?

I should specify, just in case it wasn't clear. The back fill was a waste, not the rock :-D

It was a waste because we had to move the dirt away from the edge of the pool anyway otherwise the rock closer to the pool would be that much higher than the rest of it.

The rock is large rainbow. It's around the edge of the pool extending about 2' out.

looks like this...
images

I just bought a 24' round, 48" high Wilbar Reprieve with skimmer and upgraded 25 gauge liner for $2000 and this INCLUDES installation. This is my second pool from this same retailer as we are moving and are leaving our first pool behind at the first house. The installation they did on our first pool was basic but very well done. The leveling was perfect and honestly it was pretty amazing watching this crew put up that pool as quickly and skillfully as they did. I was told they put up 6 pools a day all summer and you can really see that they were very practiced at their task. There were only 2 issues I could mention regarding the job they did. One was that there was a wrinkle or two in the bottom of the liner. At 6 pools a day they were not aboout to take the time to work out all the wrinkles. The other is that they left the sod and excess dirt for me to deal with. Their installation also did not include any electrical or gas line work, I had to hire contractors to take care of that.

When I was a little girl, my parents bought an AGP at some sort of firesale and brought it home and put it in the garage. There is stayed for many years with my dad always having an excuse why he couldn't get it put up quite yet. In truth, it was a bigger job than my dad had bargained for and after getting it home and reading the installation instructions he knew that pool was never going up in our yard. Eventually, they sold that pool to my aunt and uncle and we kids got to gaze out into their yard and stare wistfully at their (our!) pool whenever we were at my aunts for Christmas Eve. Obviously, not one of my happier childhood memories.

Putting up a pool yourself when you have never done so is a big, intimidating job. But a professional crew can put one up so fast and neat it will make your head spin. Whatever you choose, make sure you are being honest with yourself about your ability to complete the job. Please don't taunt your children with a pool in a box in the garage for years that you finally give up on and sell to a relative.

So, the moral of my story is unless you are very handy and experienced, putting up a pool might be better left to a professional. So consider the cost of installation along with the cost of the pool, and possibly look for a retailer who will include the installation in the package you purchase from them. Something they can do in a hour might take you weeks of hard labor and you still might be out of level when you are done. An out of level pool is a dangerous pool and must be taken down and fixed.

Whatever happens, good luck to you!

Leanne, I am pretty sure that's child abuse! Lol. It can be intimidating and hard work, but if you are committed, it's very possible. Break the job down into its parts, and just tackle it a piece at a time. Patience and hard work are their own reward, plus you get a pool!

$2000 for the setup is amazing :goodjob: , you did not go wrong there and you won't be abusing your kids :!:

By the way Leshac knows little something about diy (and self contracting) and perseverance. Check out his pool build thread if you haven't! I agree with him, chipping away at it can save a lot of money. I did if fall of 2010, got the pool for free on Craigslist and ended up doing it all myself. When it was all said and done, cost me about $1300 including everything in my sig (except for the hot tub and ugly drum smoker). Every situation is different, but diy can be very satisfying.

I know some of you out there are very talented at DIY and are more than capable of setting up an AGP. My husband and I learned the hard way when we tried to renovate an old house that we aren't talented at all in the DIY arena! Of the $2K I just paid for my new pool, I'm guessing about $1200 of that was the pool, and $800 represented the "free" install (since we all know there is no such thing as a Free install). To me, getting that nice, professional install was very welcome at that price.

Just bought 24X54 Sharkline, 25 ga liner, and Hayward pump + DE filter all online with no problems. Found local pool contractor to install for me. $1300 for grading, soil removal (on our site out back), levelling blocks, put in cove molding and wall foam, complete set up with pump/filter running. Water is not included, will be 200-400 additional. Will be additional $650 with portland/vermiculite bottom. Looking at around $2300 to be left with a pool ready to go.
I could probably do the install, with help, but with sand bottom not vermiculite, and it would probably take me a week to prep and assemble. These guys are in and out in one day. Not being 30 yrs old any more--I consider it a fair price, if it's done right.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.