Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: To chlorinate or not?

1. Back To Top    #1

To chlorinate or not?

I'm getting my pool replastered sometime in May. I just took the cover off a week ago, so the contractors could take a look and give me quotes. The water was clear, although the pool is pretty dirty. With the unseasonably warm weather we are having, my water has gone from 40* to 55* this week and it's starting to get cloudy.

Should I dump some chlorine in and circulate it with a small sump pump, or just let it go? I don't care so much about the algae, since the water is all going to be dumped in a month or so, but I'm concerned about mosquitoes. I have enough of them already, so I don't really want to give them a place to breed.

On the other hand, there are at least a dozen frogs and toads that have taken up residence in the pool. Are they enough to keep the mosquitoes in check by themselves?

Thanks!
    ~30000 GAL In-Ground 26'x50' Kidney Shaped Pool
    Hayward EC-75 DE Filter w/1.5HP Hayward SuperPump
    daily user of JasonLion's Poolcalculator
    (12) 2x10 SunGrabber Solar Panels...now if only there was some sun to shine on them!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: To chlorinate or not?

Interesting question. It probably doesn't matter and I assume the plasterers will have to clean the pool thoroughly to assure a good bond to the existing surface.

I would still be tempted to keep the old surface as clean as possible just in case they don't do as good a job as they should.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

The current surface has several layers of paint on it, so I believe a through sand blasting is in order.
    (12) 2x10 SunGrabber Solar Panels...now if only there was some sun to shine on them!

4. Back To Top    #4

The problem w/ chlorine in this case, is that all of the chlorine will get used up in very short order, and unless you're ready to fully recover the water balance, meaning to chlorinate the pool until everything is dead and sanitized, you're just gonna waste chlorine.

You should probably just toss in a handful of Mosquito Dunks.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

5. Back To Top    #5

Didn't know about mosquito dunks. That looks like exactly what I need. Thanks!

I definitely don't want to completely balance the water only to dump it in a month.

6. Back To Top    #6

It's my understanding, and that could be totally wrong, that mosquitos only go to the stagnant water that isn't moving.

Ergo, putting a sump pump in, and spraying it on the surface should keep the skeeters away. If that's all you're worried about.

Rob B
    My $100 pool finally died after 6 years.
    Totally got our monies worth!
    Butterfly made me do it...

7. Back To Top    #7

When my neighboring house went into foreclosure, and the pool got black and began to swarm mosquitoes, I called our county mosquito control folks - they came out and captured some larvae/mosquitoes to determine whether they were malaria-carriers, and they tossed some cakes into the pool. If you have such a county agency, you can just call them to see what they recommend.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]