Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Intex Ultraframe is up and running!

1. Back To Top    #1

New Intex Ultraframe is up and running!

So I finally talked the hubby into getting a pool. As a non-swimmer he has no interest. As a Pisces, I NEED a pool So I found a great deal on amazon for an ultraframe 9x18 for me for christmas for $399.00 brand new. I also bought the salt water generator, robot vacuum and the solar rings at the same time. All said and done it was under $1000 for everything.

After much research on this site and others, even though our yard "looks" level I decided to have a professional pool installer come do the leveling and set up. for $450 they came and leveled the ground and set a base of cinders that works great as the base for the pool as it hardens up but is still soft. They set the pool on patio blocks, put the gorilla blue stuff under the pool liner as the cushion and set everything up.

A warning, check your local codes BEFORE setting up the pool. Because the pool is over 48" deep we need to have permits and "real" electric and bonding run as if it was a metal wall above ground pool. yeah fun.

After getting it set up we decided we wanted a small deck, so we bought one of the vinylworks 5x10 freestanding deck kits (no permit required since it's portable) and it's AWESOME. sturdy, has two ladders and the self closing door on the exterior ladder. I think we may buy a second one and set it up without the rails to make the deck 10x10, but we'll see on that.

Solar rings are in, salt water generator is a piece of cake. water is almost warm enough to swim in now after only being set up for 2 weeks. (It's been warm here in NJ this year).

Here's a couple of photos, we're waiting for final inspection and then pea gravel and stepping stones will go all the way around the pool. A note to anyone short. Pick up a set of hot tub steps, they're great to move around the pool and makes it alot easier to skim and put the robot in, makes you just tall enough to easily get to the water. Ill post additional pics when the landscaping is done!

One interesting thing, now that it's full, the top frame pieces at the corners of the pool are very loose, guess it doesn't matter, just unexpected...

Happy swimming!!
    Suzy

24' Sharkline Matrix. Coral Reef Liner. Clearwater II Cartridge Filter. Saltron Retro Salt WaterGenerator. 4x20 Ecosaver Solar Panels, Rover Jr. robot vac. Fiberglass Steps and Lifesaver pool fence/gate.

Previous pool: 9x18 intex with salt water generator and vinylworks 5x10 deck.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Intex Ultraframe is up and running!

Welcome to tfp, SuzyAbbott

You have a great view from your pool!

Have you spent time at poolschool yet? Take a look at this article if you haven't aready http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...ary_pool_guide and get yourself a good test kit (see my sig), I prefer the tf100.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome!
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks!! we sit on a 50 ft bluff overlooking two lakes. The house was built in 1820 and we've spent the last 2 years renovating it. Now we're to the fun stuff www.whitecitymansion.com if you wanna check it out!
    24' Sharkline Matrix. Coral Reef Liner. Clearwater II Cartridge Filter. Saltron Retro Salt WaterGenerator. 4x20 Ecosaver Solar Panels, Rover Jr. robot vac. Fiberglass Steps and Lifesaver pool fence/gate.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by SuzyAbbott
    Thanks!! we sit on a 50 ft bluff overlooking two lakes. The house was built in 1820 and we've spent the last 2 years renovating it. Now we're to the fun stuff http://www.whitecitymansion.com if you wanna check it out!
    Wow, I can't even imagine how much work that took . It looks great What a cool property

For others, I highly recommend taking a look at SuzyAbbott's rehab project, it may be the inspiration that get's me back to work on my mess of a house.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

Yeah, it was pretty bad. I look back now (that its done) and think "what were we thinkin?!" but totally worth it. You don't find this kind of property in NJ on 2 acres overlooking a park for under 7 figures and with a little (OK ALOT) of elbow grease and under 200K we did pretty good! I'd love to sink an inground infinity pool in but that may cause the hubby to throw himself off the bluff. Last year it was a ring pool, now its the intex...maybe when this one dies I can talk him into a real pool!

7. Back To Top    #7

Do you own the bluff?

50' is a GREAT diving height! High enough to be scary, but not so high as to be stupid.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

8. Back To Top    #8

great looking pool & a beautiful view from your yard
    Intex 16ftx32ftx52in rectangular / Hayward 2 speed pump / Hayward 21in sand filter / Intex SWG / still saying solar panels coming next year