DYI Pool Build -CT

blakeusa

In The Industry
Jul 8, 2010
Ashford, CT
Enclosed are some pics from my DYI build a couple of years ago.

Pool is built into side of hill and looks line endless pool when your at pool level as it drops off into the woods. Still need to finish some decking, and stone walls, but that will happen in the next month or so. Kinda the never ending project. Had a friend help/do all layout and steel 25 year old school pool super and master builder, then outsourced the gunite and plaster to the top companies that do all the high end work. Basically they charged me the same the charge other builders -work was slow that year. Did all other work myself and with a couple of friends. Plumbing, and main electrical/bonding w/ help of licensed local friend.. etc

Spend close to 80K for everything my cost, but the pool builders wanted over 125+ before change orders (and there would have been many add on's) and I know where they would have cut corners, materials and costs. This included the pool house, all electronics, landscaping and other side work. I did have to spend close to 10k for fill since it was built in the side of a hill, but it was the only place I could really put it due to septic and ledge. Also went with true 12" thick Gunite, expensive tile, very expensive coping and all pentair Easy Touch/ LED lights, deck jets, Starite filter and Intellipro SVRS pump, IC40, special heating system & heat exchanges as I use my Central Boiler outdoor wood furnace to heat my pool and spa, granite decking and stairs, stone walls, plus a sprinkler system and lots of massive tree and site work.

PS my wife is disabled so I wanted to make a larger shallow end for her, but then compensated by making the decking larger on the deep end. 9' deep appx 26000 gal. Will post more pics another day, but just ran across these on an old computer so thought I would post up.

At night from house w/intellibrite LED lights on blue
Trevor009.jpg

Spa work in progress
Mediacard1225.jpg

Backfilled w/ pool house and all plumbing & electrical burried
Mediacard1260.jpg

Installing tile- set with laser level and sharpe marker then nailed level board
Mediacard1044.jpg

Curved Bluestone Pool Coping- USING CURVED TEMPLATES then ordered like lego's very little waste and cuts
Mediacard1012.jpg

Deep end looking toward pool house
071.jpg

Carribean Blue Plaster- adding water (same color mix as Pebletech)
063.jpg

Diving Rock - found rock in side yard.. custom integrated natural step
0552.jpg

Finished Pool & grading before decking.... had to swim... the entire concrete structure was
above ground before backfill- this area did not exist. It was level with the grade below.
0532.jpg

Plumbing behind pool house -
0482.jpg

Plaster day w/ Tent looking up toward house
025.jpg

Looking up toward the house, before stone walls etc.
072.jpg

Now that I see these I remember all the work... but swimming is nice. Actually plan on opening this week in CT ! Cause I can heat
it for free with my Central Boiler.... and have freeze protection in the system just in case of a cold spell. Did not close till Nov 1st last year.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.