Which Intex Sand Filter/Pump???

G

Hi there! I am getting ready to order my first pool.....it's either going to be the Intex Ultra Frame 18x48 or 18x52. I guess first off, does anyone have any suggestions? The 18x52 is about $100 more....is that extra 4 inches worth $100?

My real question is regarding a sand filter/pump. Obviously I've read the included pumps are Crud, so I'm going to upgrade but I'm not sure what to choose. I also want to get the saltwater system. I've seen on amazon the SW system is about $200, and then sand filter/pumps are about 170-200. Now there is an Intex 56681EG combo that is both the filter/pump and SW system.....any reviews on that? Otherwise I'm kinda stuck between 2650 and the 1600. I've read conflicting reports saying that the 1600 is just fine and that the 2650 just wastes electricity. But then I read the size of the sand filter on the 2650 is well worth the extra $40 compared to the 1600.

Does anyone have any input or actual reviews? Basically I have two certains......I want the SW system and a sand filter/pump, and my pool will be 18' in diameter (and then either 48" or 52" deep).

Thanks everyone for your help!!!! LOVE this site!

Ps. I do plan to hard plum whatever I get (including the "in the wall skimmer"), so if that factors into which of those I choose please let me know! Thanks!

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

I say go with the bigger (deeper) pool.
On the sand filter I would say the 2650 if the filtering size is bigger. I run the 2000 GPM cartridge but will be hooking up a 22" 1 HP sand filter soon, but not an Intex sand filter.

Be sure to read Pool School and http://www.troublefreepool.com/useful-links-for-fellow-intex-pool-owners-t29612.html

I can recommend a really good test kit, you will need one. :-D

My two cents...Do not buy the combination intex combo scwg/pump/filter. The scwg will probably wear-out before the pump and I do not believe the scwg cell is replaceable. I would just get a separate swg, I have the intex scwg and have been happy with it. There are better pump/filter combinations then the intex for the price if you are willing buy from craigslist, etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.