Do I need a heater in indiana?

Mar 19, 2012
Hi, I live in NWI and just bought a 27' pool.
Im wondering if I will need a heater.
I can get a Rheem 260000 btu with the package for $1500.
I dont mind colder water but I have a wife, 4yo daughter and 2 yo son
that will most likely be using it more than me.
we're about 30 miles south of Chicago and can get all four seasons in the same week.
Will that heater be enough? Is it even worth the $1500?

We're in SE Wisconsin just over the border with a 27 ft round above ground. We like the water around 88 and we're happy. We use 4 -2X20 solar panels and as long as the sun is out we're good. As the summer ends we do use the solar cover more frequently along with the panels. When you factor in the heater, the plumbing and the monthly cost that's when you will be able to decide if you need it.

You will spend a significant amount of money running that heater. Maybe several hundred a month.

I'm just a little south of Bloomington and heat mine with solar. If you have the space, it is a good alternative. It won't let you swim in April or October, but it will make a 10 degree difference in your water pretty easily in the summer.

I too use solar...my theory/experience is that solar can add heat in the summer months , but when the season changes occur up here (Minnesota, and I would guess in Indiana too), they happen so fast that no heat source will extend the swim season much without costing an arm and a least 2 legs.

linen said:
I too use solar...my theory/experience is that solar can add heat in the summer months , but when the season changes occur up here (Minnesota, and I would guess in Indiana too), they happen so fast that no heat source will extend the swim season much without costing an arm and a least 2 legs.

My experience as well. Even though I can keep the water at 85 or so, once the air temperature is down around 80, nobody wants to swim.

Definitely get a heater! I don't have any experience with solar, it sounds great but I want something that I can control anytime. Our heater is 100k btu (which we paid around $850 for).

This year I might run it a bit more (while watching the gas meter) and try to swim early if it works out that way. It's excellent for bumping a few degrees if the weather is great but the water is only 80-85 in the morning. Or to make sure the temp doesn't drop too low overnight.

Speedo said:
It's excellent for bumping a few degrees if the weather is great but the water is only 80-85 in the morning.
What you describe in that sentence is exactly what solar is great for, ours gets turned on when sun hits panels (about 10 am, due to shade) and by 2 pm, water is significantly warmer. Like was mentioned previously, solar is not great for extending a season (normally, but I have hopes this year), but it's great for bumping up temperature during the day due to loss at night. Cheap too :whoot: Gas heaters in northern clims, can extend the season, but keep in mind the cost is high to do it. This may not be you, but some people tend to overuse them "cause they have it" even when the pool really doesn't need it (and then they complain about how much it costs :hammer: ) :lol: .

Last season I probably spent around $250-300 in gas costs. But I didn't extend my season by much it was mostly used on days where the water would otherwise be too cold but the weather was nice. Or if it's warm enough but cloudy. If I had the budget to do so I would definitely have both gas and solar :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was wondering about getting a heater for the pool as I found one on craigslist reasonably priced. My brother suggested I think twice due to the cost. I am glad I found this thread. Guess I won't get the heater. Would like to rig up some type of solar heater though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.