Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do I need a heater in indiana?

1. Back To Top    #1

Do I need a heater in indiana?

Hi, I live in NWI and just bought a 27' pool.
    Im wondering if I will need a heater.
    I can get a Rheem 260000 btu with the package for $1500.
    I dont mind colder water but I have a wife, 4yo daughter and 2 yo son
    that will most likely be using it more than me.
    we're about 30 miles south of Chicago and can get all four seasons in the same week.
    Will that heater be enough? Is it even worth the $1500?
    27' AGP, stenner pump, 30 gallon holding tank, 2hp two speed pump, cartridge filter, 12.5% liquid chlorine.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do I need a heater in indiana?

If I were an Indiana resident, I would definitely have a way to heat the water. Even people in Texas have heaters.

3. Back To Top    #3

We're in SE Wisconsin just over the border with a 27 ft round above ground. We like the water around 88 and we're happy. We use 4 -2X20 solar panels and as long as the sun is out we're good. As the summer ends we do use the solar cover more frequently along with the panels. When you factor in the heater, the plumbing and the monthly cost that's when you will be able to decide if you need it.
    27 ft round 52" wall
    Cartridge filter
    Above Ground
    2 hp Hayward pump
    Using 2 2x20 solar panels

4. Back To Top    #4

You will spend a significant amount of money running that heater. Maybe several hundred a month.

I'm just a little south of Bloomington and heat mine with solar. If you have the space, it is a good alternative. It won't let you swim in April or October, but it will make a 10 degree difference in your water pretty easily in the summer.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

I too use solar...my theory/experience is that solar can add heat in the summer months , but when the season changes occur up here (Minnesota, and I would guess in Indiana too), they happen so fast that no heat source will extend the swim season much without costing an arm and a least 2 legs.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    I too use solar...my theory/experience is that solar can add heat in the summer months , but when the season changes occur up here (Minnesota, and I would guess in Indiana too), they happen so fast that no heat source will extend the swim season much without costing an arm and a least 2 legs.
    My experience as well. Even though I can keep the water at 85 or so, once the air temperature is down around 80, nobody wants to swim.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    My experience as well. Even though I can keep the water at 85 or so, once the air temperature is down around 80, nobody wants to swim.
    In New England, if we only swam when the air temps were 80+, our swim season might be a 1.5 months!
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

8. Back To Top    #8

Definitely get a heater! I don't have any experience with solar, it sounds great but I want something that I can control anytime. Our heater is 100k btu (which we paid around $850 for).

This year I might run it a bit more (while watching the gas meter) and try to swim early if it works out that way. It's excellent for bumping a few degrees if the weather is great but the water is only 80-85 in the morning. Or to make sure the temp doesn't drop too low overnight.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]