In ground wall buckling

Mar 20, 2012
Bethel, CT
Hi everyone,

I have been a pool owner for almost eight years, but have only opened the pool for perhaps four of those years. Last year when I attempted to prep for opening, I first tried to drain some of the water out to get at the leaves that had collected in the cover (the pool hadn't been opened the previous year, so had lots of leaves in the winter cover). I drained maybe a foot of water, but when I went to have a look, I noticed that the long sides of my pool, including the cement decking, had pulled inward, away from the soil maybe 2-3 inches.

Foolishly, I called my home insurance company to see if they could come have a look. It turns out that no insurance policy covers buckling, but now they require proof that I fixed my pool problem, or they will not renew my policy, since I have alerted them that the pool is now a liability.

I have had a few pool companies, even a masonry company come out to have a look, but nobody has given me a quote that is within my budget, since this will be entirely out of pocket. This pool was built from a kit 32 years ago, and the lady who installed it said it has metal supports at the sides.

Is repairing this buckling something that can be done myself? We've thought of having the pool taken out entirely, but are reluctant to jump to such a drastic step. I don't want to lose my home insurance, but if I try to get a new policy with another company, won't they say the same thing if they see the pool?

Welcome to TFP!

I am so sorry to hear about your pool woes. That is very unfortunate. Some of the pros on here may have some advice for you so be patient.

If the quotes that you have received are expensive and I imagine that they probably are, that may be an indication that this situation is probably not what most would consider a DIY job. Now, I could be wrong, but this is just my inclination. As for the insurance issues, I can't really say how it would affect you in that respect.

It would help us if you would post some pictures of what you are describing. That way, we know a little more about what you are dealing with.

Thanks for the reply. I really don't have a lot of hope that this is something within my DIY reach, but I've surprised myself before. The liner was new three years ago (the last year it was opened), and corner stairs were installed. The filter was also new that year.

A major complication for some of the repair people is that this pool is inground, but the surrounding ground level was raised to compensate for the hard rocky layer they discovered when they tried to dig. Consequently, there is an 8 foot hill on the only side which can access the pool, which is too steep for digging machinery. Repairs must be done by hand.

Attachments

• Pool 1.jpg
    Pool 1.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 143
  • Pool 2.jpg
    Pool 2.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 143
  • Pool 3.jpg
    Pool 3.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 144
This doesn't solve your immediate problem, but speaking from experience, freeze/thaw cycles do some nasty things to pools and their surroundings. The retaining wall around our pool had to be completely replaced last year, as it had separated about 4 inches. Not good.

As for your insurance, they really shouldn't care about it's appearance and potential issues. A liability is a liability, and pools are liabilities, generally speaking. I had another independent agent come out to the house a couple years ago, in the attempt to write a homeowners policy, and all he mentioned is that liability rates are set, and pools really have nothing to do with it. Umbrella policies are sold for that reason.

As long as you haven't filed a bunch of claims, go shopping for a new policy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.