Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can I do this?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can I do this?

I need to add CYA to my pool. I am familiar with the hanging the sock in front of the return jet method but I have an old inline chlorine dispenser that I used back in the day that I use to fill with those evil 3" pucks.....can I put the CYA in that to dissolve?
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can I do this?

...I'm not sure, but why? I prefer the dump-it-in-the-skimmer method, and just don't backwash for a week or so. Even the sock is too much work for me
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

It just seems like the perfect device for dissolving the CYA......as long as it doesn't exploded due to some crazy chemical reaction!
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

Not a recommended procedure. A chlorinator is designed to hold tabs only. Putting powders in it will cause a washout effect inside allowing undissolved CYA powder to pass. I doubt that it would explode like if you mixed chlorine types but is a bad idea, none the less, IMHO.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

5. Back To Top    #5

I take a knee high,,,,,,,,,fill it up..........loosely tie a knot............and chunk it in the skimmer to dissolve. It don't take long! Just don't backwash too soon.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the feedback, a knee high it is.

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits