Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Broken drain plug help

1. Back To Top    #1

Broken drain plug help

Anyone have any tricks fro removing a plastic threaded drain plug that the head broke off of? The plug on my Hayward chlorinator broke off at closing in the fall. Now I need to get the remaining portion of the plug out to install a new one. I tried drilling a hole in it and then tapping with a screw driver with no luck. Also tried sticking a pair of needle nose in the hole, opening and twisting. No luck either. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
    25K gal vinyl inground, 1HP Hayward Pump, Hayward DE 4820 Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Broken drain plug help

Did you just use a normal screw or a left handed one?

I would think it would come out fairly easy with an Easy Out which is threaded "backward" so that as you turn CCW, the bit tightens/grabs the stuck bolt/plug and hopefully breaks it loose. Since you already drilled a hole, you will want to use a similar sized Easy Out.

EDIT: Note sure how big it is but could you put 2 screws offset into the plug and then an adjustable wrench on both screws to get torque?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Left-handed drill bits are one of my favorite tricks if there is enough room to drill a larger hole.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Rob621
    Anyone have any tricks fro removing a plastic threaded drain plug that the head broke off of? The plug on my Hayward chlorinator broke off at closing in the fall. Now I need to get the remaining portion of the plug out to install a new one. I tried drilling a hole in it and then tapping with a screw driver with no luck. Also tried sticking a pair of needle nose in the hole, opening and twisting. No luck either. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
    Maybe drill a series of holes on both sides of the hole you currently have. Drill the holes so they overlap the original hole so you sort of make a slot out of the holes. Place a flat blade screwdriver in the slot and turn.

5. Back To Top    #5

Sort of the same trick as gcalahan posted, but if you have room you can use something like a Dremel to cut a slot, then use a normal slotted screwdriver to get it out.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

6. Back To Top    #6

Heat up the end of a flat blade screwdriver and push it into the plastic. Not so hot that it burns the plastic, but just hot enough to melt it enough to get the screwdriver in enough to get a good bite. Hold it there for about 60 seconds to allow it to cool down and then unscrew the plug.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW
    Heat up the end of a flat blade screwdriver and push it into the plastic. Not so hot that it burns the plastic, but just hot enough to melt it enough to get the screwdriver in enough to get a good bite. Hold it there for about 60 seconds to allow it to cool down and then unscrew the plug.
    That's a slick idea...thanks for sharing it.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

8. Back To Top    #8

Some good ideas here. I'll give them a shot. Thanks guys!
    25K gal vinyl inground, 1HP Hayward Pump, Hayward DE 4820 Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Also, if you do use the hot screwdriver technique, be careful not to get near the threads. Don't use a screwdriver that's too wide, and keep the blade in the center of the plug.