How to clear a clogged skimmer suction line?

Jerry

Aug 10, 2009
New Orleans
I have 2 surface skimmers and one is clogged with acorns/leaves I think.
When I close the other 2 lines (one is in bottom drain) a little water spurts into the pump basket.
I made a garden hose threaded pvc adaptor to pump it from the skimmer end but no relief.
Any suggestions?

I don't think drain snakes would help as the fittings are probably 90 degrees - this is the farthest skimmer on the opposite side of the pool.
Has anyone used a cobra drain cleaner (hose attachment that swells to seal) from the pump end of a line?

The Cobras and Drain Kings have had some success on the forum. You want to push the water back to the source of the blockage rather than pushing the blockage further in.

Another technique which is more about volume than pressure is to take a wet towel and push a hose into the pipe and wrap the space around the opening and pipe with the towel to seal up the opening as best as possible. Turn on full blast and see if you can't flush the debris out that way too.

You *can* get a thin snake through 90 degree bends. But you want that to be a last resort as PVC is soft and you could damage it snaking it out.

Has anyone used a cobra drain cleaner (hose attachment that swells to seal)
I have no personal experience but several here on the forum have used them....generally with good results if the clog is not too tight.

Others here have suggested inserting the garden hose into the skimmer line at the pump and then wrapping or packing cloth tightly around it to for a good seal and then turning on the water. If it's an easy clog, that might get it and save some money.

Carlscan beat me to it.....I swear I didn't copy his post!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.