long term quartz vs. pebble....

poolflood

In The Industry
Mar 20, 2012
South of Houston Texas
I will be starting my pool in the next 3-4 weeks (and will post pic's once the plan is finalized).

A fairly significant portion of "upgrade" costs is due to the interior finish.
For those of you who have had quartz and pebble for more than 5 years -
Are you happy with the product?
Has it lived up to your expectations?
How much longer do you think it will last before a "replaster" is required?

Thanks!!!!!

Hey poolflood, welcome to TFP! :wave:

What type of cleaner are you planning to use in your new pool? Also, do you plan on using a salt system?

Pebble is going to be a little bit rougher to the touch. For this reason, pebble pools tend to wear down the pads on suction side cleaners pretty fast. Also, this rougher surface gives algae a place to hide (which can be avoided with proper water chemistry). If you are planning on using a salt system, I have heard that it will deteriorate a quartz pool faster.

I have DiamondBrite on my pool and also a SWG. Going on year seven, and don't see any deterioration. Not sure what the longevity is supposed to be? That has allot to do with proper water chemistry. I was the general contractor on my pool build and of the whole process the DiamondBrite was only thing I don't like. Come to find out almost all the applications turn out the same way. Your going to get modeling in the finish and it can't be helped. Some is worse than others. I even went with a DiamondBrite rep. to see a "Perfect Pool" and it had it also. So if you like that faux type finish you'll love the finish, if it's a more uniform even finish you will be disappointed. As far as the cleaner goes you will get ware. It's not as ruff as pebble but it is a little rougher than plaster. I have a Polaris 280 and the bottom is pretty worn down but not all the way through. I'm going on year 7 still looks the same as day one. People who come and see love it, my wife loves it. I'm more critical, I think we should have went darker and don't really care for the modeling.

The pool people say I should get at least 10 years out of DiamondBrite. My existing plaster is old, rough, and has numerous spots that are ... well, I can't remember the technical term. But they are depressions that are extremely rough. The DiamondBrite can't be any harder on my robot than what I have now I don't think!

We are afraid to go to a dark color because, as you know, the D/FW sun makes the pool hot enough with a white finish.

I'm planning on sticking with chlorine supplemented with borates - no salt - and then using a robotic cleaner.
I've talked to many people who all have "skin in the game" so are biased one way or the other.
To those who have pebble and were concerned about the sore feet - did that warning come to fruition.
To those who have quartz, are you seeing deterioration after 5 years?

Reactions: cgtx
We actually got Pebblesheen which uses smaller rocks than Peebletec and supposed to be "smoother". I have not noticed my feet getting sore, but if you bump your knee or rub your arm against the pool, it can do a number on you like sandpaper. Plaster is certainly the smoothest option, but I am not sure it will last as long and look as "interesting" as some of the other finishes.

i'm looking at a 118 or so perimeter w/almost 750 sq. feet and 1000 sq. feet of new deck and topping (stamped) 600 sq. ft. of existing deck. 2 separate water features. I know there's a jump to pebble from quartz and i'm stretching the budget. I figure to be in the house for another - 10-15yrs and don't want to have to re-plaster. i know i won't have to w/any of the exposed aggregates, but might w/quartz.

poolflood said:
To those who have pebble and were concerned about the sore feet - did that warning come to fruition.

My feet are used to being in shoes and I havn't had a problem, no complaints from the kids either. You dont want to rub a knee or elbow though. I was told that even though the pebble sheen has smaller pebbles it can be a little "sharper" than the larger more rounded pebble tech.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
bobby1017 said:
I was told that even though the pebble sheen has smaller pebbles it can be a little "sharper" than the larger more rounded pebble tech.

Most of my prior experience was with vinyl pools but when we put our pool in, I knew I wanted to put pebble sheen in for the durability. I have been pleasently surprised how much of a non issue the rocks are for gentle/normal motion - there is no soreness/etc for anyone normally using the pool. The kids never have a problem at all with it.

However, occasionally someone (usually me) will forget the pool surface is not vinyl and made of rocks and push hard against the wall or floor and on occasion get a slight cut or bruise. In one case, I lost about an inch of skin on my hand it took almost 3 weeks for that to grow back. I've brushed significantly during startup and have a robot that also scrubs the floor weekly but I'm guessing the pebble sheen just has a few imperfections here and there that might take a full year or so to break in. It does make me wonder if a vinyl pool would have been safer for pool parties/etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.