Nature2 in Baja Tub at Weekend House

Mar 20, 2012
We bought a Baja tub in November and we're trying to figure out how we should be maintaining it. We are often there only on weekends, so it needs to be as low-maintenance an option as possible.

The rep from the pool company that installed it told us to put 1/4 cup of shock ii in the tub each week and test for alkalinity/ph. I've been doing that with test strips, but i feel like we've been putting a lot of clarifier/defoamer in the tub. Can anyone help?

Hey sparklie_girl, welcome to TFP! The defoamer is pretty common in your tub, but you should not have to use too much clarifier. What are your test results from your latest water test?

You have a few options for maintaining your spa levels...

1) You could use a Nature 2 Spa Mineral Sanitizer Stick (sku w20750), any type of granular trichlor (ex: sku les-22337), and MPS (les-renu2 or w25000)

OR, if you want to get away from chlorine (and use bromine instead)

2) King Technology SPA FROG Floating System (sku 01-14-3882), and occasional MPS

Note: Since these systems use copper, silver, and other minerals to help with the sanitation process - you should not use stain, scale, or metal removers. You will also want to make sure you have enough calcium in the water. If you don't, the water can get cloudy and eat away at your heating element. This can be a tricky balance, but as long as you keep your calcium around 200ppm and change your water every 3-4 months, you will be all set!

thanks. the dealer just gave us shock II -- i'm guessing that's the same as MPS?

i like the idea of the nature2, since it's contained in the filter

the test strips they gave us only showed PH and Alkalinity -- not MPS, so i think we need to get a different testing situation going on. I see lots of folks on here recommend the Taylor K-2006 kit -- do you think we need that (vs. the strips that show the MPS)?

Thanks for your help! We had no idea what we were getting ourselves into! (& our pool is going to be *another* big project too, once we open that!)

Not a stupid question at all! Yes, the calcium hardness (CH) will measure the calcium in your spa. Based on the color of the test strip result, you will know the ppm range that you have.

One more thought I had for your spa was the use of Spa Perfect by Natural Chemistry (sku 04021). This is an enzyme that breaks down left over organic waste in the water - and will help you with the foaming and odors.

duraleigh said:
One more thought I had for your spa was the use of Spa Perfect by Natural Chemistry (sku 04021). This is an enzyme that breaks down left over organic waste in the water - and will help you with the foaming and odors.
Wouldn't bleach do the same thing?
There are several factors that make Spa Perfect different that bleach:
Spa Perfect is a natural enzyme (no chemicals)
Spa Perfect will never discolor hair or clothing and is non toxic
Spa Perfect will help de-clog your filter and remove scum line (bleach will not)

Also, just wanted to note that I am honored to be the target of your 10,000th post! :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
duraleigh said:
Wouldn't bleach do the same thing?

Um, excuse me. Don't mean to hijack this thread, but Dave, this was your post #10,000! :whoot: :cheers: :whoot:

Here's a pic of your side profile :)

duraleigh Post subject: Re: Nature2 in Baja Tub at Weekend HousePosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:47 pm
Special Contributor

blakej said:
Not a stupid question at all! Yes, the calcium hardness (CH) will measure the calcium in your spa. Based on the color of the test strip result, you will know the ppm range that you have.

Test strips do not measure calcium hardness (CH). They only measure Total Hardness that includes both calcium and magnesium. You need a drop-based test kit, such as the TFTestkits TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006, to be able to measure CH. In fact, test strips are not good to use generally as they are not accurate for many of the measured parameters (see this post). You don't want the CH to get too high in a spa or you will risk scaling, especially in the heater. A CH level of 120-150 ppm usually works reasonably well at preventing foaming. Note that if the pH is rising too much in a spa, that the Total Alkalinity (TA) should be lowered -- don't try and maintain 80 ppm if the pH tends to keep rising.

If one is only using a spa on the weekends, then chlorine or Nature2/MPS isn't usually a great choice because it requires more frequent dosing so if you aren't adding any chemicals during the week then the water can turn bad. The risk of that is lower with Nature2 due to the silver ions, but it is not zero. For infrequent spa users, using bromine with a bromine floater usually works better since it provides more consistent sanitation (see Using Bromine in a Spa), BUT that isn't compatible with Nature2 (though is with Frog, but that isn't really needed if you are using Bromine). Also, if you have an ozonator in the spa, then bromine works better as well because ozone can reactivate bromide ion to bromine.

The least expensive approach is to use Dichlor to start out until you build up to around 30 ppm CYA and then switch over to using bleach (see Using Chlorine in a Spa), but for that system one needs to dose every day or two so it's best suited to those who soak every day or two.

Enzyme products are not normally needed if one uses sufficient oxidizer to handle their bather load. Roughly speaking, every person-hour in a hot (104ºF) tub requires around 3-1/2 teaspoons of Dichlor or 5 fluid ounces of 6% bleach or 7 teaspoons of non-chlorine shock (43% MPS) to oxidize the bather waste. This assumes there is no ozonator. With an ozonator, these amounts will be lower, possibly half depending on the strength of the ozonator. The downside with an ozonator is that for spas not used frequently the ozone reacts with chlorine increasing the daily chlorine demand. As noted above, it ozone works well for bromine.

Test strips do not measure calcium hardness (CH). They only measure Total Hardness that includes both calcium and magnesium. You need a drop-based test kit, such as the TFTestkits TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006, to be able to measure CH

I stand corrected! Yes, the drop kits will be the best way to go!

hmm. now i'm confused :)

you're suggesting i switch to bromine as a lower-maintenance option for weekend-only use. Do you have to keep the bromine floater in the tub when you use it or is it just there when you're not using it?

sorry for being so clueless!

Yes, bromine in a floater would be lower maintenance since you don't have to be there to keep adding any sanitizer/oxidizer. The tablets should last at least a week. As for during your soak, you can take the floater out while you are in if you want, but be sure to put it in right after your soak. If you have a particularly heavy bather load, a bunch of people for a longer period of time, then you may need to add extra oxidizer to the tub as soon as you get out. That oxidizer can be chlorine or non-chlorine shock (MPS), either of which will activate more bromide to bromine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.