Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: need suggestions about replacing the swg or cell

1. Back To Top    #1

need suggestions about replacing the swg or cell

I have a 6 year old aquacomfort swg with a scc-40 cell. A quick goggle search tells me the replacement cell is about $600. I am wondering if it is better to just replace the whole system, maybe a compupool swg for around the same price. I have never had a problem with it ever. And I am trying to plan for the future maintenance expenses. I live on Long Island NY.
    I also like the mineral springs from biogaurd and have been using it for the past four years, and have never cleaned the cell. Although I have never cleaned the cell I regularly inspect it and it has never looked bad.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you

ps is there a recomended retailer to buy these items.
    20 X 40 Vinyl IG 28K gallons, Heat Siphon Z700HP, Hayward 4820 DE, Hayward SP3400VSP, Jandy aquapure 1400, TFTest Kit, Pool School, Pool Calculator

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: need suggestions about replacing the swg or cell

You're paying more than half the cost of a new system for a replacement part of a system that still has more parts to go bad. I'm a fan of just replacing a unit that is getting that old.

Mineral springs is a goldline/Hayward sysytem with a different sticker. They are a good unit that have been around for a long time with no significant retooling or anything. They have a nice sealed metal box that houses the controls that are pretty user friendly. The T-15 system would be comparable to what you have.

The compupool systems seem to be popular on here, but I don't have a ton of experience other than installing a couple systems for customers who decided to purchase online. Everyone on here seems to like them, though, and I know they have good customer service.
    25K aggregate IG, Intellipro, FNS48, Polaris 360, PG2000 fiber optic light source

3. Back To Top    #3

What about recomended online stores?
    20 X 40 Vinyl IG 28K gallons, Heat Siphon Z700HP, Hayward 4820 DE, Hayward SP3400VSP, Jandy aquapure 1400, TFTest Kit, Pool School, Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

Another option is to get a generic replacement cell for around $340. I believe that [http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/pools..._R-E5.htm]this one[/url] is compatible with your system, though you should double check that. That would save you quite a bit of money. Using a generic replacement will void your warranty, but that is most likely close to expiring anyway and that is a large cost savings.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School