Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Returns at the bottom of the pool too?

1. Back To Top    #1

Returns at the bottom of the pool too?

I'm getting ready to start on our in-ground pool in a couple of weeks and was wondering...
    I looked in to the in-floor cleaning systems but have decided against adding one (mainly due to the cost) but was wondering why I couldn't put a separate return loop just above the floor? Then let the lower loop run a few hours at night and the "normal" returns run the rest of the time? Knowing that this would not be as effective as the in-floor cleaning system but wouldn't it help in pushing the debris toward the drain perhaps making the cleaning easier and faster?

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Returns at the bottom of the pool too?

This is something I was considering - except that instead of putting more penetrations through the shell - using valves to reverse the flow so that if you wished you pushed water back through the main-drains. This is off topic - it wont clean your pool bottom but it would enhance chemical distribution and heat distribution more evenly through the pool. The beauty of the in-floor system is the valves that are timed to clean the bottom of the pool. You can achieve a fraction of this with running a "top" and "bottom" scenario, but what's the efficacy for the additional cost and penetrations....
    There are some floor inlets available that are fairly common to the commercial pool industry - but those are not designed for debris movement as much as for water circulation (vertically).
    In the pool business and finally succumbed to building a pool....

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

My guess is you would be be better served simply buying an effective pool cleaner......you'll need one anyway, correct?

A good robot will keep your pool floor sparkling and probably not cost too much more than the lower return system.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Deep returns are ok but can cause problems in winter as you must make sure it doesn't leak. a normal below surface directed downwards would have much the same effect. is there a robot that can clean faster and better than a human?

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

is there a robot that can clean faster and better than a human?
    Perhaps not, but that seems irrelevant. What does seem relevant is that there are LOTS of robots that can clean your pool (albeit more slowly) while you, the human, consume copious amounts of adult beverage......I look at it as the perfect example of teamwork.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    is there a robot that can clean faster and better than a human?
    Perhaps not, but that seems irrelevant. What does seem relevant is that there are LOTS of robots that can clean your pool (albeit more slowly) while you, the human, consume copious amounts of adult beverage......I look at it as the perfect example of teamwork.
    Got me briefly thinking about looking into a vacuum to try out myself ... then I saw this reply ... I agree

Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!