New cell or all new system?

Mar 19, 2012
I have an Ecomatic ESC 36 for my AG 25k pool that was having trouble keeping up at the end of last summer (the 4th year in use). I'm debating replacing the cell with a non factory original (Compupool) for $350 or an OE for $700 or just scraping the system for a new IC or Autopilot system. I've been happy withe Ecomatic's performance but fear replacing the cell only to find that isn't the problem or isn't the only problem. Is 4 years about what I should expect to get from a cell? What are your recommendations for a new system?

Thank you,
Justin

Ankeny, IA

Welcome to TFP!

Four years is about right for the life a cell. They typically last three to five years (longer if significantly oversized). Normally the control unit will last quite a bit longer than that. If you haven't had any obvious problems with the control unit, the odds favor simply replacing the cell.

SWG do occasionally have strange problems where you can't tell if the problem is in the cell or in the control unit. While that does happen, most of the time in a situation like yours it is simply time to replace the cell, and a new cell will solve all problems.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.