Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: New cell or all new system?

New cell or all new system?

I have an Ecomatic ESC 36 for my AG 25k pool that was having trouble keeping up at the end of last summer (the 4th year in use). I'm debating replacing the cell with a non factory original (Compupool) for $350 or an OE for $700 or just scraping the system for a new IC or Autopilot system. I've been happy withe Ecomatic's performance but fear replacing the cell only to find that isn't the problem or isn't the only problem. Is 4 years about what I should expect to get from a cell? What are your recommendations for a new system?

Thank you,
    Justin

Ankeny, IA
    Richmond, VA
    36,000 Gal/20'x40' Vinyl Diving Pool - Inground/Hayward Tri-Star Dual Speed 1.5 HP Pump/Hayward T-15 Salt Cell/Goldline Controller/Sand Filter/Borates

Re: New cell or all new system?

Welcome to TFP!

Four years is about right for the life a cell. They typically last three to five years (longer if significantly oversized). Normally the control unit will last quite a bit longer than that. If you haven't had any obvious problems with the control unit, the odds favor simply replacing the cell.

SWG do occasionally have strange problems where you can't tell if the problem is in the cell or in the control unit. While that does happen, most of the time in a situation like yours it is simply time to replace the cell, and a new cell will solve all problems.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

I agree with Jason. However, i would also recommend sticking with the factory original cell rather than the generic cell. We've seen problems with Generic cell when used with the AutoPilot systems.
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    Commercial Products Sales Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

Thanks for the help and advice. Anyone have experience with the compupool replacement cells?
    Richmond, VA
    36,000 Gal/20'x40' Vinyl Diving Pool - Inground/Hayward Tri-Star Dual Speed 1.5 HP Pump/Hayward T-15 Salt Cell/Goldline Controller/Sand Filter/Borates

Senior Member In the Industry

They leak.
    25K aggregate IG, Intellipro, FNS48, Polaris 360, PG2000 fiber optic light source

Senior Member In the Industry

Anyone have experience with the compupool replacement cells?
    They don't always meet OEM specs.
    Josh Ulfers - TFP Supporting Vendor - josh@saltpoolguys.com - 888-725-8766
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells
    PoolHeatPumpWarehouse.com - AquaCal Heat Pumps