Wetting D.E?

scvpoolguy

In The Industry
Jan 31, 2012
I really do NOT like changing DE due to the airborne partials aspect of it all, and what a mess to boot! What would happen if I keep my DE in a 5 gallon paint bucket, wet and covered. Just enough water to cover it and keep the dust under control when I scoop into it. Would it work? Would it cause issues? Or would it just be a great idea!
Input please.. :hammer:

How do you usually add it to the pool?

I typically scoop it into a bucket (dust flying everywhere) and then fill with water and try to mix it ... it really does not seem to like to be in slurry form.

I wonder what would happen when you try to scoop out of your setup ... you may end up getting dust anyways ... although I can not see why this method would not help and now you have me intrigued barring someone not coming along and squashing the idea.

Welcome to TFP!!

I am very sorry to say that this won't work :cry:

DE is measured by dry weight and has to be done so.

You can wear a particle mask when handling it (and that is recommended)

Keeping it in a sealed container is an excellent idea :!: , but you'll have to deal with it dry at some point :(

I've been using a cellulose based DE replacement for a while. It too makes a bunch of dust, so care is required. I believe it is less of a concern as it does not contain small silica particles like DE. I find it does an excellent job of polishing the water. I noticed the water in our pool getting a bit cloudy this weekend (ducks have been swimming in the pool as they always do during the beginning of spring). I noticed the pressure on the filter getting on the high side, so I simply backwashed for a couple of minutes and added more of the cellulose filter media. After running the filter on its normal schedule, the water is now perfectly clear and looks great. BTW, I just add about 8 cups of this directly into the skimmer (basket removed), and then check the filter PSI. With no media, this is about 15 PSI, but when the correct amount is added, it is 20 PSI at around 2700 RPM on the IntelliFlo. When it reaches about 25 PSI, I know it's time to backwash. So far, this has worked well.

Thanks people for the input. My only concern was the measuring aspect of it. I Was thinking I could add the slurry form S L O W L E Y and watch the gauge until my pressure was about right. Now I know this is not proper, but it might be close to it!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.