I posted this as a reply in another thread but I'm getting real nervous so i figured I start my own thread
I live in the Boston area and typically don't open until May 1. But with the warm winter and 70 deg temps all this week in the forecast I decided to to take a peek under my cover. I noticed quite a bit of yellow algae on the sides and bottom of the pool. Never had any algae problems before and this is my sixth season with the pool, so now I am concerned. The water is very clear still, there is just this yellow stuff along the sides and bottom.
I really don't want to open for another month at least. I am concerned about opening now because I'm not home a lot (travel) and it's still possible to get below freezing temps in this area for a few more weeks. I am also concerned that with the current warm weather stretch, the algae will get worse. So, should I take any action to stop the growth before I open? will adding a lot of bleach now be harmful, helpful or neither? Or should I just wait until I open and get circulation?