old-school pool brat finally got one of her own

Mar 19, 2012
Nevada City, CA
I grew up in So Cal where my Dad was a practicing pool tech for 37 years,when I was a little kid I used to go to work with him, excited at the prospect of getting to swim. As any "pool brat" knows that was a rare occasion! At first I was the fetch-it girl, then he let me test the water with the chem kit, then on to the tile!! Tile!!! The least favorite, most tedious job in pool maintainence! It felt like christmas when he finally got a second pole so I could use the skimmer! The only time I got to help change out a pool light was awesome, I got to swim!! Eventually, I got good enough to be left at a pool with a chem test kit, vacuum head, hose and skimmer and he would go to the next one. Until I turned 16 and wanted to be paid, instead of getting an "allowance" (sometimes!) I worked through the summer every year. About 12 years ago, when he was recovering from an accident he had me servicing a couple of spa units that were close to my house for a few months. I am now 44 years old, my Dad passed away several years ago and I am currently in escrow on a home with a pool in Nevada City, Ca at the edge of Tahoe National Forest.
As excited as I am about my own pool, I also understand the responsibilty I am about to accept. I was informed that the pool was solar heated and that the solar heat was quote "disconnected" at first I incorrectly assumed that it was an optional source and that it had an alternate heater. When I got my first look at the filtration and heating system, I discovered that the "pool guy" the homeowners had hired had replumbed and bypassed it, leaving no heat source at all, at an elevation of 3500ft!!!