Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: old-school pool brat finally got one of her own

1. Back To Top    #1

old-school pool brat finally got one of her own

I grew up in So Cal where my Dad was a practicing pool tech for 37 years,when I was a little kid I used to go to work with him, excited at the prospect of getting to swim. As any "pool brat" knows that was a rare occasion! At first I was the fetch-it girl, then he let me test the water with the chem kit, then on to the tile!! Tile!!! The least favorite, most tedious job in pool maintainence! It felt like christmas when he finally got a second pole so I could use the skimmer! The only time I got to help change out a pool light was awesome, I got to swim!! Eventually, I got good enough to be left at a pool with a chem test kit, vacuum head, hose and skimmer and he would go to the next one. Until I turned 16 and wanted to be paid, instead of getting an "allowance" (sometimes!) I worked through the summer every year. About 12 years ago, when he was recovering from an accident he had me servicing a couple of spa units that were close to my house for a few months. I am now 44 years old, my Dad passed away several years ago and I am currently in escrow on a home with a pool in Nevada City, Ca at the edge of Tahoe National Forest.
    As excited as I am about my own pool, I also understand the responsibilty I am about to accept. I was informed that the pool was solar heated and that the solar heat was quote "disconnected" at first I incorrectly assumed that it was an optional source and that it had an alternate heater. When I got my first look at the filtration and heating system, I discovered that the "pool guy" the homeowners had hired had replumbed and bypassed it, leaving no heat source at all, at an elevation of 3500ft!!!
    [color=#000080]20k kidney shaped inground gunite pool,(equipment subject to change) Pentair Clean & Clear Plus, Pentair WhisperFlo 1 1/2hp pump. Everything else is disconnected/disabled and currently a work in progress... newly added Vintage CalSpa is also a work in progress..

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: old-school pool brat finally got one of her own

Great history and sounds like you have a great place to live. Welcome to the forum.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Welcome to TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by blakej
    Welcome to TFP!
    Thank you! although you guys may not know what your in for
    [color=#000080]20k kidney shaped inground gunite pool,(equipment subject to change) Pentair Clean & Clear Plus, Pentair WhisperFlo 1 1/2hp pump. Everything else is disconnected/disabled and currently a work in progress... newly added Vintage CalSpa is also a work in progress..

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Great history and sounds like you have a great place to live. Welcome to the forum.
    Its the best. Thanks for the welcome.

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP!