Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: most bang for the buck(chlorine)

1. Back To Top    #1

most bang for the buck(chlorine)

Didn't i see a break down of cost of different types of chlorination somewhere on here? What types had how much available chlorine etc. If so could someone please point me to it?
    Thanks
    36x18,MAYBE 27000gal?,VINYL.3/4 HP,PAC-FAB SUPER FLO SAND FILTER

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: most bang for the buck(chlorine)

TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah! Thats it.Thanks.I need to shock the bjesus out o my swamp and I need CYA so im thinking of going with pucks.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by buzzbait00
    Yeah! Thats it.Thanks.I need to shock the bjesus out o my swamp and I need CYA so im thinking of going with pucks.
    Pucks don't dissolve very fast.

I see no problem with filling a floater with enough pucks to raise CYA, but you'll still need to add some bleach or Cal-hypo to raise the FC fast enough to get ahead of the algae. Bleach would be best, as it doesn't add any extra Calcium.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok,thanks.

6. Back To Top    #6

Or, if you are low on CH, or not so high that it matters, you could consider cal-hypo. In the big buckets it is cheaper than bleach and you can shock the heck out of the pool really fast. I like to keep it on hand because it stores so well. When you need to shock, sometimes the amount of bleach you need can be a problem to get a hold of fast and at a good price. But if you have a pool store that has 12% bleach that may be even better overall.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

7. Back To Top    #7

Yeah, im going with cal-hypo. My ch is low. I figure 1 lbs of cal-hypo = a big (182oz?) bottle of 6%. 1Lbs of cal-hypo costs me bout $3.24 and bleach has went way up round here. $3.00 a big bottle.... Thats up. 50 since last summer!!

8. Back To Top    #8

The linked post by ChemGeek is a very interesting comparison of costs; but it is a four year old thread. Obviously prices have changed since then, but does 6% bleach still work out to be the most cost effective?
    13k gallon IG gunite pool
    Jandy 2 speed pump
    Jandy cartridge filter
    Stenner Pump and tank

9. Back To Top    #9

I use to find 6% on sale all the time for. 99 a regular bottle. Now its usually $1.79. At the local piggly wiggly they will only.sell me 4 bottles at a time because i might be making crystal meth with it that 1lb@$3.24 for cal-hypo is just the price at the closest place. Bet i could beat it if i looked around.