Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Please recommend a good in line filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Please recommend a good in line filter

I will be using the pipe from my skimmer to vacuum the pool. I understand that I should use an inline filter when I am doing this. Below are several I saw on amazon that look OK. Which of these would you pick, or can you recommend something better?

http://www.amazon.com/Zodiac-Leaf-Catch ... B003ZTJD6K

http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-Navigator ... 294&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-Capacity- ... 294&sr=1-8
    36 x 18 oval pool, inground, plaster pool.
    27000 gallons
    1 hp pump. Sand filter
    Pool built in 1971.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Please recommend a good in line filter

I should also ask, please recommend a good vacuum. I was going to get one at home depot, but since I need to order the inline filter I might as well also order a good vacuum rather than just get whatever is available at home depot.
    27000 gallons
    1 hp pump. Sand filter
    Pool built in 1971.

3. Back To Top    #3

I have the smaller Hayward in-line and it works pretty well although I wish I had the bigger one because we get a lot of leaves in the fall. I have been using it over the last 6 years and I have had to replace the basket and o-ring once. I don't think the Zodiac would work well because of the design. I would go with the larger Hayward.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the info. How about vacuum cleaner heads?
    27000 gallons
    1 hp pump. Sand filter
    Pool built in 1971.

5. Back To Top    #5

For just a pole head cleaner, the ones at Lowes and Home Depot work fine. But if you are after an automatic vacuum, I would recommend ThePoolCleaner. I think it is one of the best suction side cleaners out there.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks again. One more question - Do I need a small hose to connect the in line filter to the pipe in the skimmer, or does it fit down in there and plug in directly?
    27000 gallons
    1 hp pump. Sand filter
    Pool built in 1971.

7. Back To Top    #7

The container is made to go between two sections of the flex hose.
    Mark

8. Back To Top    #8

So is the flex hose already sectional, or do I need to buy 2?
    27000 gallons
    1 hp pump. Sand filter
    Pool built in 1971.

9. Back To Top    #9

The hose normally comes is 3' sections but it does depend on the type of hose you get. I noticed at Lowes that they have single 3' sections as well.
    Mark

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by mas985
    For just a pole head cleaner, the ones at Lowes and Home Depot work fine. But if you are after an automatic vacuum, I would recommend ThePoolCleaner. I think it is one of the best suction side cleaners out there.
    I had the brushes on my Hayward vac head go bad so I headed to Lowe's and picked up the one they have for less then $20. It worked but the brushes were set over an inch in from the sides of the head that it made it difficult to clean corners and along the edge of the bottom of the pool. I ended up ordering replacement brushes for my hayward head. Just make sure the brushes on whatever you get are along the outside edges of the vac head.
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits