Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Light Upgrade...LED or Not?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Light Upgrade...LED or Not?

Have a Anthony Light - Underwater No H-700260 Model no 30 and am needing to replace as it is busted out and the when we took it out, it was all corroded. It is to be used with Fixture Housing No 16 or 21. How do I find a replacement? Can any electrician that is licensed do this work? Or does someone need to be specially licensed to do pool electrical work? Thanks!
    IG Gunnite Pool Size: 25K gallons (20 x 40, 3'6" to 6" depth) with 2 huge Baker Hydro cartridge filters under the skimmer baskets on the suction side, 2 mech timers
    BRAND NEW PLASTER! Quartzscapes/Diamondbrite, Newer Polaris 280, Brand New Hayward Maxflo VS, Brand New Pentair Intelichlor
    I will conquer the black algae this pool season!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Light Upgrade...LED or Not?

Sorry forgot to add, Should I go with LED's or not? I know there are LED fixtures but are there also LED lamps that can go into an older style housing? Such as an LED lamp can screw into where an old fluorescent light once was? Just curious. Thanks!
    IG Gunnite Pool Size: 25K gallons (20 x 40, 3'6" to 6" depth) with 2 huge Baker Hydro cartridge filters under the skimmer baskets on the suction side, 2 mech timers
    BRAND NEW PLASTER! Quartzscapes/Diamondbrite, Newer Polaris 280, Brand New Hayward Maxflo VS, Brand New Pentair Intelichlor

3. Back To Top    #3

So here's yet another question. Do I need this light or would a simple floating light function just as well. Just curious. Thanks!

4. Back To Top    #4

A regular electrician should be able to do the work but one that is used to working with pool builders will be familiar with the work.

Searching the web for a replacement will probably be your best bet but your local pool store might have a clue.

It's really your call but the floating lights don't match the output of an installed light and most people aren't happy with them. They are a lot cheaper, however.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Just wanted to confirm that I think you can find a screw-in LED bulb for most fixtures. I replaced my old 300W white bulb with a color changing screw-in LED ... simple as changing a light bulb ... well after you pull it out of the water and open up the housing

Getting a bulb was certainly the cheapest option for me, but my housing was fine (I did replace the sealing gasket). Since you have to change the entire housing, not sure what I would recommend. If you have any kind of Automation, there are specific Hayward/Pentair color LED fixtures that can tie in nicely.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

depending on how old your Anthony light is , it will be hard to find. they were custom made for Anthony ( the Older Ones). and the new 10inch housings may not fit in your nitch.

You need some one who has pulled an Anthony light since generally they are old and the Light Cord or cable if you prefer, swells up over time and Anthony never used 3/4 inch red brass, always 1/2 inch.

I know some tricks to pull them but there is no Guarantee that you will be able to pull a new cord, so if your housing is not compromised, and you have a new GFI installed on this light then i would consider the LED bulb option... there are actually many options if you go that route -- not just pool LED manufacturers .

Good Luck

G
    CHANGES AREN'T PERMANENT, BUT CHANGE IS--- Rush-- Tom Sawyer

7. Back To Top    #7

thanks for all your replies. we went with a traditional housing...then we screwed in a led bulb.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by mrswhitsie
    thanks for all your replies. we went with a traditional housing...then we screwed in a led bulb.

Which bulb did you get? And how did it look compared to your old bulb?
    16x32 Concrete IG
    Equipment: Carvin 525sf Cartridge Filter, Jandy Gas Heater, Vortex Solar Panels w/solar valve, 1hp Hayward Pump with 3/4 HP AO Smith 2 Speed Replacement Motor, Aquarite Saltwater Cell, Polaris 280 Dolphin Active 20 Robot
    Automation: Hayward Prologic Controller

9. Back To Top    #9

If you are still around . What fixture did you use ???
    I have the exact same problum !!!
    With a model 30 anthony light !!!
    Can't find one after lots a searching !!!
    Sean Hannon
    30,000 Gallons gunite pool Coated by Fibertech
    Hayward Pro Grid 72 / Hayward multiport
    Circupool V3 VS pump
    CirCupool SWG RJ 60, 400.000 btu raypak , Built in SPA

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

I used a screw in led light from home depot, fwiw. Works fine but not as bright as the original light. Uses a lot less power though and only about $40.
    16x32 Concrete IG
    Equipment: Carvin 525sf Cartridge Filter, Jandy Gas Heater, Vortex Solar Panels w/solar valve, 1hp Hayward Pump with 3/4 HP AO Smith 2 Speed Replacement Motor, Aquarite Saltwater Cell, Polaris 280 Dolphin Active 20 Robot
    Automation: Hayward Prologic Controller