Fairly new pool (to me)- need replastering?

Jul 25, 2011
Tucson, Az
Hello! We just moved into this repo house back in July. I changed the pump and filter sand before we even moved in and got the pool all cleaned up. It stays pretty clean except some minor growth on the shaded wall every so often which brushes right off and takes a while to come back, yes usually if I let the chlorine dump like over the winter with the cover on... Anyway, as I cleaned it up the plaster showed more and more of its inconsistent coloring... blotchyness really. I don't know if that means it needs to be replastered or what. I had attempted to broom sections with a firm (metal wire?) pool brush and it would have a cloud. I stopped in fear it was just tearing up the plaster but now I wonder if it is the plaster being garbage or something else.

Here is what it looks like in a wide angle in the deep end:

IMG_3466.JPG

And here it is zoomed in on some

IMG_3467.JPG

Yesterday I drained out some of the pool so I could see the plaster. I guess it's not white... but you can see where I took a scraper real quick and scraped off the color, not sure what that means... The stuff that scrapes off is kind of a light teal color.. didn't show well in the picture.

IMG_3468.JPG

Thanks for any insight you can give!
Andrew

Test results:

fc 1.5
tc 1.5
ph 7.6
ta 151
ch don't see this on the test sheet from pool place
but there is tot. hardness 324
cya 151

Is the plaster rough in spots? Most likely, it is probably time for new plaster just based on the looks of it.

I would invite you to go ahead and get yourself a high quality test kit. The TF-100 from tftestkits.net is about as good as it gets. Having a test kit that produces dependable results is the best way to arm yourself against future problems.

Yes, it is rough in spots. I actually purchased the tf-100 just 15 mins ago. :)
I've been getting quotes on re plastering, converting the whips to returns, and adding a dedicated vacuum line... just wasn't planing on doing all that this year. :-\
Andrew

Just FYI, If you are getting quotes for replaster. I realized after the fact that the same 2 companies do all the replasters in my area for all the pool companies. I went to the National Pool Plasterers Association to get their names. http://www.npconline.org
One guy did give me a significantly cheaper quote than the pool builders/companies did, $5K difference! The other guy refused to quote because in my original search, he had actually already bid on my pool already through a pool company and would not bite the hand that fed him. I totally understand that. I just wish I had asked him first instead of going to the pool companies that were just going to sub the work out anyways to him.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.