When to Open?

Oct 7, 2011
We've had a mild winter here in southern Ohio & so far, a very warm spring: 70 degrees all last week and it hit 80 degrees today! Very unusual for us.

We followed your advice on Closing - to the letter. It was especially helpful with regard to When to Close - waiting for the temp of the water to reach 60deg (if I remember correctly)

In pouring through the posts: Pool Opening, etc. I'm wondering if there is a similar guideline for opening? Since we drained our pool 18-20in below the returns, we cannot measure the temp of the water. In fact, we can't really check on the water at all since we have a mesh cover tightly strapped to the deck.

Here are my concerns: 1) is there a general guideline as to when to open the pool? and 2) with so many warm days recently, are we likely to find an algae bloom if we wait too much longer?

Pros/Cons? Thoughts?

Thanks,
Molly

Really, you just kinda open when you want. I look at it this way...what is the risk of you having a hard freeze at this point in the year? If it is pretty much not gonna happen and you are ready to tackle it, go ahead and open up. You may not swim for a while, but at least you can get it looking nice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.