Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: When to Open?

1. Back To Top    #1

When to Open?

We've had a mild winter here in southern Ohio & so far, a very warm spring: 70 degrees all last week and it hit 80 degrees today! Very unusual for us.

We followed your advice on Closing - to the letter. It was especially helpful with regard to When to Close - waiting for the temp of the water to reach 60deg (if I remember correctly)

In pouring through the posts: Pool Opening, etc. I'm wondering if there is a similar guideline for opening? Since we drained our pool 18-20in below the returns, we cannot measure the temp of the water. In fact, we can't really check on the water at all since we have a mesh cover tightly strapped to the deck.

Here are my concerns: 1) is there a general guideline as to when to open the pool? and 2) with so many warm days recently, are we likely to find an algae bloom if we wait too much longer?

Pros/Cons? Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Molly
    36k gallon, IG, vinyl liner (2007), partial gunite underlay, grecian shape.
    Hayward Star Clear Plus Cartridge Filter, filtration rate: 2GPM/ft2, flow rate: 68GPM.
    Hayward 1.5HP super pump (2012).
    Southwestern Ohio

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: When to Open?

Really, you just kinda open when you want. I look at it this way...what is the risk of you having a hard freeze at this point in the year? If it is pretty much not gonna happen and you are ready to tackle it, go ahead and open up. You may not swim for a while, but at least you can get it looking nice.

3. Back To Top    #3

Okay - thanks!
    36k gallon, IG, vinyl liner (2007), partial gunite underlay, grecian shape.
    Hayward Star Clear Plus Cartridge Filter, filtration rate: 2GPM/ft2, flow rate: 68GPM.
    Hayward 1.5HP super pump (2012).
    Southwestern Ohio

4. Back To Top    #4

We opened our pool last weekend (3/17) and it was great to see the water so crystal clear. Now I am dealing with Pollen but I have a skimmer sock that is helping a lot.
    14,700 gal. 14 x 28 rectangle with 2R IG by Hydra Pools, 1 hp Hayward Maxflow ll, Hayward 24" Sand Filter, Aquarite Electronic SWG, one Aqua Genie Complete Skimmer, two main drains, four returns, 2 spa jets in steps, 30ml Tidewater liner. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit