Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pre-Dissolve the CYA?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pre-Dissolve the CYA?

I'm a little way out from setup yet, but I was thinking of pre-dissolving my CYA in a vented 5 gallon pail prior to setup. Then when the time comes, I just add it and have instant CYA level without having to add it in a sock or whatever. Anyone see a problem doing this? I've thought about handling hazards and I have that covered on the PPE and experience end. I'll only need about 23 Oz BTW.

I used the last of my few remaining pucks last year and don't plan on buying more in bulk ever again.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pre-Dissolve the CYA?

It is very very difficult to pre-dissolve CYA, and not worth the effort to try unless you are really into chemistry experiments.

Open yourself to the Zen of pool maintenance and let things take the amount of time they take
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Unfortunately, thut much cya doesnt dissolve in such a small volume of water. I let about 10 oz of granular cya soak in 5 gallons of water for a week. It did soften it up a bit, but still solid. i then ran it into my de filter via the skimmer. I did that a few times to get my cya up. No fumes while soaking from what i could tell.
    30,000 gunnite with emerald bay pebble tec
    Pentair fns 60 square feet DE filter
    Whisperflow 0.75 hp pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    It is very very difficult to pre-dissolve CYA, and not worth the effort to try unless you are really into chemistry experiments.

Open yourself to the Zen of pool maintenance and let things take the amount of time they take

I hear ya....Owwwwwommmmmmmmmm.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

If you squeeze it about 4-5 times a day (in a sock hanging over the return) it will be gone in 3-4 days.

Chuck
    Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.

6. Back To Top    #6

I tried dissolving it once. That was a huge waste of time and effort!

Coincidentally, I just got done putting 8 lbs in socks in front of my returns. Hopefully it'll be dissolved by swim season
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

There is an instant conditioner if you really want that.

http://naturalchemistry.com/pool_spa/pr ... ioner.html

8. Back To Top    #8

can the sock go in the skimmer? I don't have any way to tie off near my returns. I guess I could let it float in the spa and spill over.
    35k inground Plaster w/ attached spa, 2hp Pentair single speed pump, EasyTouch with Intellichlor, 48 Sqft DE filter, BBB managed

Need a heater!

9. Back To Top    #9

I have mine hanging in front of the returns via a small rope tied to chairs on each side of the pool.

The problem with using the skimmer is if you have to backflush before it's 100% dissolved, you'll backwash the CYA back out.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

well, it is still in a sock, not flushed down the skimmer pipe into the filter.
    35k inground Plaster w/ attached spa, 2hp Pentair single speed pump, EasyTouch with Intellichlor, 48 Sqft DE filter, BBB managed

Need a heater!

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

well, it is still in a sock, not flushed down the skimmer pipe into the filter.
    Partly correct. The concentration of CYA from the sock will still be pulled into the filter and out through the backwash so you will loose more than I would care to if it were my money.

If you want to use the skimmer and need to backwash, simply remove the CYA filled sock from the skimmer and put it in a bucket until your backwash is complete, then return it to the skimmer.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

My question was more to safety I guess. I don't have any intention of backwashing this week, so in that case would putting the sock in the basket be okay?

Need a heater!

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

No problemo.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

14. Back To Top    #14

I have no experience what will happen when using a sock in the skimmer, but just adding a pound of CYA to my skimmer without a sock drove up my PSI. And I have a big filter.

The instructions on mine say to add to the skimmer, but it's good to ask, the instructions on pool supplies aren't always safe.

15. Back To Top    #15

I use the Oster BVCB07-Z 6-Cup Glass Jar 7-Speed Blender for my CYA
    29K gallon rectangle, vinyl, Hayward Sand filter, Dolphin Nautilus robotic vacuum

16. Back To Top    #16

When I add CYA I typically put it into an old T-shirt and put that in the skimmer. For me, it's easier than a sock hanging over a return. I have a cartridge filter, however, so no need to worry about any loss from backwashing. The CYA usually dissolves within a day with this method though if I need to add a lot of CYA then I need to split up the dosing or else there is too little flow in the skimmer. Note that I also have floor drains and also a skimmer bypass (is that what it's called -- the outlet below the skimmer that takes in water when the skimmer gets clogged?) so can't stop suction to cause any damage.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Justice Distributor
    pulverise it? with liquid?

Need a heater!

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    When I add CYA I typically put it into an old T-shirt and put that in the skimmer. For me, it's easier than a sock hanging over a return. I have a cartridge filter, however, so no need to worry about any loss from backwashing. The CYA usually dissolves within a day with this method though if I need to add a lot of CYA then I need to split up the dosing or else there is too little flow in the skimmer. Note that I also have floor drains and also a skimmer bypass (is that what it's called -- the outlet below the skimmer that takes in water when the skimmer gets clogged?) so can't stop suction to cause any damage.
    equalizer line, in case your skimmer gets clogged but more so in case your water level drops too low for the skimmer
    29K gallon rectangle, vinyl, Hayward Sand filter, Dolphin Nautilus robotic vacuum

19. Back To Top    #19

My CYA went up faster than expected, so my sock is going to dry out for later. Must have tested poorly, though I had Leslie's confirm. Gonna let it mix a day or two and retest.

Need a heater!

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by Locksmythe
    Quote Originally Posted by Justice Distributor
    pulverise it? with liquid?
    with liquid, it works very poorly dry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast