Raypak RP2100 not working

bjsbuds

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 16, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
Last summer when I went to fire up the propane pool heater, the readout was illegible as I attempted to press the button that scrolls through the functions. I replaced the face plate readout hoping that would solve the issue. But, when I went to fire up the heater, the characters on the readout were funky.

So, I am wondering if I need to replace the circuit board. I am not sure how much money to invest in the heater as it is 10 years old. I don't use it much because of the cost of propane. However, on special occasions it's nice to ensure the water is warm for guests.

I have thought about exploring solar heating, but my pool builder just told me yesterday that a solar heat system was very expensive, and I would be better going with a heat pump, which would run me around $4,000, and cost only $50 a month to operate.

So, should I take a chance on the circuit board?

Pool Clown said:
Check the touch pad first. Locate where the touch pad plugs into the board, and unplug it from the board. If the display displays correctly, replace the touch pad. If it is still displaying garbage, it's the board.

Sorry, the touch pad is what I replaced. How will the touch pad display anything if I unplug it from the board? You couldn't read the touch pad at all on the old one, which is why I replaced it first. Once I plugged it into the board, that is when weird characters were displayed from the touch pad.

I have purchased the circuit board for the RP2100 and am ready to replace. I have read that there are instructions for replacing it, and that there are some modifications that have to be done, as the new tan board is not the same as the old greem board. I have searched the web looking for instructions without luck. Any ideas are appreciated.

Did this a few years ago. Raypak has retrofitted all of the older heaters. Their website has all/most of the x-reference part numbers and their installation manuals. Or, you can call their Customer Service line.....VERY friendly people, and they'll shoot you in the right direction.

As a side note, I know how much those boards costs. I take the circuit board out when I close the pool....I had mice problems. All the plugs come out nice and easy, and I can keep it safe inside.

If you truly purchased the correct board the only thing you might have to do is remove the tab on the board to tell it that it's a propane heater. This is for the time out sequence that the heater uses if it doesn't ignite.

Well, sure enough when I pulled all the parts out of the box, the installation manual was under all the packing.

I made it all the way to the last step of plugging in each of the wire connectors, but have one that doesn't match up. I had a six-pin connector with six wires on the old board labeled P3. That six-pin connector will not fit on the seven-pin connection. There is a seven-pin connector included in the new circuit board, but there are not any instruction on what to do with the six wires of the old connector to the new three wire connector?

Anyone know how this should be connected? If I can't get this figured out before Monday, I'll call Raypak then. Was just hoping to get this finished this weekend.

I have attached three photos; one of the old board with the six-pin connection, one of the new board with the seven-pin connection, and one of the new seven-pin connector with three wires.

Attachments

• seven pin connector.pdf
    112.3 KB · Views: 19
  • new board.pdf
    169 KB · Views: 14
  • old board.pdf
    111.9 KB · Views: 13
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.