Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Raypak RP2100 not working

1. Back To Top    #1

Raypak RP2100 not working

Last summer when I went to fire up the propane pool heater, the readout was illegible as I attempted to press the button that scrolls through the functions. I replaced the face plate readout hoping that would solve the issue. But, when I went to fire up the heater, the characters on the readout were funky.

So, I am wondering if I need to replace the circuit board. I am not sure how much money to invest in the heater as it is 10 years old. I don't use it much because of the cost of propane. However, on special occasions it's nice to ensure the water is warm for guests.

I have thought about exploring solar heating, but my pool builder just told me yesterday that a solar heat system was very expensive, and I would be better going with a heat pump, which would run me around $4,000, and cost only $50 a month to operate.

So, should I take a chance on the circuit board?
    18k, 2001 Ft. Wayne 18'x36' oval sport pool with polymer walls, IG, vinyl, 3.5' at ends and 5' in center, Pentair 1 1/2 hp 2-speed pump (new in 2014), Hayward S-200 Sand Filter, new Raypak RP2100 propane heater (installed 4/2013), 3 jets, 1 floor drain, 1 Polaris jet (never used), 2 skimmers, new Garrett liner (installed 4/2012)

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Raypak RP2100 not working

Check the touch pad first. Locate where the touch pad plugs into the board, and unplug it from the board. If the display displays correctly, replace the touch pad. If it is still displaying garbage, it's the board.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Pool Clown
    Check the touch pad first. Locate where the touch pad plugs into the board, and unplug it from the board. If the display displays correctly, replace the touch pad. If it is still displaying garbage, it's the board.
    Sorry, the touch pad is what I replaced. How will the touch pad display anything if I unplug it from the board? You couldn't read the touch pad at all on the old one, which is why I replaced it first. Once I plugged it into the board, that is when weird characters were displayed from the touch pad.
    18k, 2001 Ft. Wayne 18'x36' oval sport pool with polymer walls, IG, vinyl, 3.5' at ends and 5' in center, Pentair 1 1/2 hp 2-speed pump (new in 2014), Hayward S-200 Sand Filter, new Raypak RP2100 propane heater (installed 4/2013), 3 jets, 1 floor drain, 1 Polaris jet (never used), 2 skimmers, new Garrett liner (installed 4/2012)

4. Back To Top    #4

I have purchased the circuit board for the RP2100 and am ready to replace. I have read that there are instructions for replacing it, and that there are some modifications that have to be done, as the new tan board is not the same as the old greem board. I have searched the web looking for instructions without luck. Any ideas are appreciated.

5. Back To Top    #5

Did this a few years ago. Raypak has retrofitted all of the older heaters. Their website has all/most of the x-reference part numbers and their installation manuals. Or, you can call their Customer Service line.....VERY friendly people, and they'll shoot you in the right direction.

As a side note, I know how much those boards costs. I take the circuit board out when I close the pool....I had mice problems. All the plugs come out nice and easy, and I can keep it safe inside.
    Kansas City, MO
    13500 gallon Foxx vinyl sport pool--inground (1988)
    Cristal-Flo sand filter
    Ray-Pak 406A digital
    1.5 HP single speed
    400 gallon Heldor inground spa, octagon

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

If you truly purchased the correct board the only thing you might have to do is remove the tab on the board to tell it that it's a propane heater. This is for the time out sequence that the heater uses if it doesn't ignite.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

7. Back To Top    #7

Well, sure enough when I pulled all the parts out of the box, the installation manual was under all the packing.

I made it all the way to the last step of plugging in each of the wire connectors, but have one that doesn't match up. I had a six-pin connector with six wires on the old board labeled P3. That six-pin connector will not fit on the seven-pin connection. There is a seven-pin connector included in the new circuit board, but there are not any instruction on what to do with the six wires of the old connector to the new three wire connector?

Anyone know how this should be connected? If I can't get this figured out before Monday, I'll call Raypak then. Was just hoping to get this finished this weekend.

I have attached three photos; one of the old board with the six-pin connection, one of the new board with the seven-pin connection, and one of the new seven-pin connector with three wires.
    Attached Files Attached Files

8. Back To Top    #8

Oh my, I think I just figured it out. Just go back and read. Looks that six-pin connector went to the old ignition module, and that is no longer needed. Guess I don't need the seven pin connector. Sorry for the post.