Will replacing pump lower electrical costs

bjsbuds

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 16, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
My electric bills have increased from $150 per month for the first three years after my pool was built to $400 - $500 per month the last two summers. I replaced my two-speed pump three years ago as my original 1 hp two-speed pump kept failing.

Being a bargin hunter, I purchased a 1 1/2 hp two-speed pump from an on-line vendor (have read lots of negative feedback on this vendor since my purchase), and I have worried that the pump is not quite right and I now believe I purchased more hp than I need. I installed the pump myself, so who knows maybe I did something wrong with the wiring. I am willing to do whatever is necessary to lower my electric bills by at least $200 per month.

There are only two things that run in the summer that do not run other months; pool pump and central A/C for house.

I have been trying to pinpoint the problem. My pool builder was over yesterday and today, and he said I could take the motor off and take it in to an electrical motor shop and have them check to see if it is out of balance. He also said if the motor was made in China, that is was a piece of junk. He said that is why he switched from selling this manufacturer's products because they are now making their equipment in China. Need to take a picture of the motor and equipment, which may help suggestions.

He agreed something is wrong given the amount of my electrical costs. I asked about replacing the entire pump with a different brand, and should I consider replacing all my PVC at this time given the age of the pool. One thing I appreciate about him is that his always looks for the least expensive solution. However, I wouldn't not have minded if he provided pros and cons.

I also obtained my neighbor's electrical bills just to see how I compared. As you can see in the attachment, it is in the summer when my costs are more than double the neighbor's. I am also attaching my electrical usage and costs if that gives any insight.

Appreciate all suggestions

Attachments

• Electrical Comp.pdf
    23.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Electrical Costs (2006 - 2011).pdf
    40.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Monthly Electrical Usage.pdf
    27.5 KB · Views: 40
The pump's model # would be helpful. Also, how long are you running on high speed and low speed each day?

Also, did the power company recently "upgrade" your power meter?

bjsbuds said:
He also said if the motor was made in China, that is was a piece of junk.
Appreciate all suggestions
Your pool builder is wrong, a junk is a Chinese boat :lol:
I have a cheap Chinese pump 3/4hp which uses 220w (at 240v) it is 11 years old this year. My skimmer is a high flow model with 2 1/2" plumbing to the pump and 2" plumbing to the returns. I believe the glass media also helps with lower friction through the filter but all in all it is cheap to run.
I want to fit a new pump this year, a really efficient variable speed version so I can demonstrate it for customers but with such an efficient setup already the actual saving would be very low but considering similar pools running 3/4hp pumps locally are using around 630-650w then something on my setup is most definitely working

my last upgrade on two family pools included all pentair system 'bundle' (3-year warranty) and VF pumps

during winter the system runs 24hr/day and my FPL bills are below $100 / month (4 br house, 4 separate heatpump systems, well pumps for sprinkler, etc..)

>> system run 24 hours a day?

programmed to use 95 watts power and continuous filtration, SWCG remains off, normally I may add 1 gallon/week of liquid chlorine, pH is automatically maintained by Simpoool so no maintenance required.

mas985 said:
The pump's model # would be helpful. Also, how long are you running on high speed and low speed each day?

Also, did the power company recently "upgrade" your power meter?

Does the attached photo of the label provide the pump model, or are you talking about a Hayward Super Pump 2-Speed? I also attached a photo of the pool equipment setup, and a photo of the pump when it was brand new in 2008. I thought I installed it in 2009, but I found photos dated 2008.

Running the pump 24/7 on high speed. A constant fight in my house to get everyone to agree the pool remains clean on low speed. :?

Nope, the meter has not been updated.

Attachments

• Pump Wiring to Switch.jpg
    Pump Wiring to Switch.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0910-1.JPG
    IMG_0910-1.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0915-2.JPG
    IMG_0915-2.JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 152

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That pump draws approximately 8 amps at 240 volts on high speed and 2.5 amps, again at 240 volts, on low speed.

That is around 2 kWh per hour on high speed. If you run the pump 8 hours a day, that would be just under 470 kWh/month. With my electric rates of $0.12/kwh, that is $56/month. On low speed it is around 0.6 kWh/hour, 8 hours a day would be about 145 kwh/month, at $0.12/kwh that is around $17/month. Of course your run time or electric rates might be very different than mine.

bjsbuds said:
Running the pump 24/7 on high speed. A constant fight in my house to get everyone to agree the pool remains clean on low speed.
Exactly what is the complaint when runing on low speed? If it is because the skimmer does not collect enough debris, that is normal for some pools and a trade off with run time. But on to your pump:

If that pump is a 1 1/2 HP SuperPump and your plumbing is 1 1/2", then the operating point for the pump should be around:

High Speed: 61 GPM @ 1639 watts
Low Speed: 30 GPM @ 384 watts

A pool should need between 1 to 2 turnovers per day. At full speed, that would be only 5 hours and at low, 10 hours. 24/7 is way too much for your pool and will cost you a fortune to run it that way. That is close to 1200 kwh per month.

I would run the pool for 2 hours on high and 6 hours on low speed and see how it goes. If you hear any complaints from the family, tell them they are killing polar bears and show them where the leaf net is located. :lol:

Well, that all makes sense. Since we are running our pump 24/7 on high, it is probably accounting for $168 a month in electric costs, and the remainder is probably due to an inefficient central A/C unit. Are you saying you run your pump just 8 hours a day?

In the winter, I run my pump about 2 hours per day. I only get up to 8 hours a day in the heat of the summer to keep the water circulated while the sun is on it but then it is mostly on low speed.

Before I put my concern about the pump to rest, I thought I would provide a little repair history on this pump. I purchased the pump, Model SP2610X152S from Pump Warehouse in Sept 2008. The pump ran very hot from the beginning, and you could not touch the housing when it was running. The pump did not come with a Diffuser, so we used the one off the old 1hp 2-speed Super Pump, which I now know was a no, no from reading other posts on this web site. The ground screw never stays in place, and seems stripped.

When I opened the pool in the following spring, I noticed after three weeks running, that it sounded very noisy. The pump was running on low speed and when I shut it off and back on, it just hummed. My electrician was at the house working on something else, so I had him take a look. He first tested to see if the electric was sending 240 volts out, and it was. Then he took apart the motor from the pump housing and the impeller fell right off. He tried to put it back on when we noticed that the threads were stripped near the end. We tried to put it back together, and noticed that the impeller wobbled. We tried to rethread the impeller back on the motor, and it was very difficult. We finally got it all back together, but the pump would not prime. At this point I took the motor off the pump housing and took the motor into a local pool company. They put it on the bench and replaced the seal assembly and replaced the impeller.

You ask, 'how do you remember something that happened three years ago so clearly', well I have typed up notes when I was trying to get Pump Warehouse to take some responsibility, and I just found them tonight.

Given this pump's history, is why I am concerned it is still not right, and possibly contributing to the increased electrical costs?

Was the motor shaft bent at all and did you check for the impeller for wobble after fixing the motor?

Also, did you put the old/proper impeller back on the motor?

Any imbalance in the impeller or an oversized impeller will quickly burn out a motor.

mas985 said:
Was the motor shaft bent at all and did you check for the impeller for wobble after fixing the motor?
No, I didn't check it after it was repaired.

mas985 said:
Also, did you put the old/proper impeller back on the motor?
No, a new impeller was installed by the pool shop

mas985 said:
Any imbalance in the impeller or an oversized impeller will quickly burn out a motor.
Since the motor has been running since 2009 is it past the 'quickly burn out' stage? Could any of this be causing increase in electrical usage?

Any failure that will significantly increase the electrical usage will create a lot of heat. Pumps with that kind of problem almost always fail very soon after they first start using extra power.

It can get a little tedious, but your best bet might be to map out how much power all of your major appliances, including the pool, are using. This can be done by turning things on and off one at a time a watching how this changes your rate of electrical usage. You can determine electrical usage by timing how long it takes the disk in the electric meter to make a revolution. It takes some care, but that will tell you how much electricity most things are using. It isn't really precise with things like refrigerators, because you also need to know how often the refrigerators coloring system is running, but this approach is quite good for things like pool pumps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.