Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What would cause pump pressure to do down?

1. Back To Top    #1

What would cause pump pressure to do down?

A few days ago the pressure guage said 13, which is has been since in installed it a month ago. Today it is 11.5. I have not backwashed. What would cause pressure to go down?
    36 x 18 oval pool, inground, plaster pool.
    27000 gallons
    1 hp pump. Sand filter
    Pool built in 1971.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What would cause pump pressure to do down?

2 possibilities:
    Air in the line (suction leak)
    Blockage (skimmer basket full)
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

3. Back To Top    #3

crud in the impeller.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

crud in the impeller.
    I didn't know what an impeller was, but just found out on wikipedia. So if that is the cause, is there any way to fix it? The pump is only one year old.

Air in the line (suction leak)
    When the leak detector guys came out they said there was a small suction leak in the line coming from the skimmer. They said it was not big enough to cause water loss but would get a little air into the system. Maybe that is is slowly getting worse.

They fixed the more serious leaks that were causing water to go down. I guess I will eventually need to dig up that line and fix it.
    36 x 18 oval pool, inground, plaster pool.
    27000 gallons
    1 hp pump. Sand filter
    Pool built in 1971.

5. Back To Top    #5

Depending on the pump it may be easy to check/clean the impeller. I recently had an oak tree drop lots of stuff into the pool and it got by both baskets. The tree droppings look like worms when wet, pollen pods for lack of a better term, clogged the impeller. On my pump (Duraglass) it's easy to get to the impeller and clean it out. It isn't hard to do, but you need to separate the motor from the housing to get access to the impeller. The impeller is connected to the motor shaft.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida