New pool first test numbers

The CYA only needs testing once a summer (or so), it stabilizes chlorine so you would see your chlorine getting gobbled up at an increased rate.

Getting the chemical values in line the first time can be challenging since your basically learning on the job, but once you get them where you want them the maintenance is pretty straight forward (barring anything out of normal happening). After a few weeks of dealing with minor day to day fluctuations you'll start to see how the chemicals effect the water. Its this understanding thru experience that takes a bit of time but provides all the knowledge, which brings me back to the first sentence above, once your on top of your regular chlorine consumption you'll know when something is going wrong.

Keep on trucking, your getting there!!

PS, I keep a small book with all my levels, I write them down at every test, after awhile you will see the patterns and fluctuations and know what is normal for your pool. I recommend tracking things for a bit, eventually it will become engrained.

FC - 2
TC - 1.5
CC - .5
PH - 7.2

Well looks like it worked great, thank ya'll, the MA lowered the PH and the chlorine stayed higher than yesterday, all of the 42 ozs of CYA has melted as of this afternoon. Should I do anything else or just keep daily checking my chlorine and ph levels.

You nailed the pH :goodjob:

I think you had a typo with the FC and TC. FC is 1.5 and TC is 2. :wink:

With 30 CYA, your FC should be between 2 and 6 and never below 2.

The .5 CC is kinda irritating to me. :hammer: and, if it was my pool, I'd bring it to shock level tonight and try to get rid of the CC. I'd wait til the sun was off the pool, raise it to shock level, filter for an hour and then turn it off. (I know you run about 6 hours daily)

It has been my experience that one shock will take care of an irritating CC is lotsa cases.

Altho this is my suggestion, it is up to you.

My bad, I probably wrote the numbers backwards. So the CC should always be 0 and if it's off u apply a shock treatment. If u don't mind me asking how do u shock and what are u using, I used that bag shock in my old pool but now with the BBB would I do something different? Oh and should I wait until tomorrow I have already added my bleach? Sorry if the questions seem redundant or ignorant.

No problem. You can do the shock tomorrow night. We normally say that cc of .5 or less is okay, and you don't need to shock. However, yours seems consistent and I'd like to see it go to zero if it will.

We suggest bleach/liquid chlorine to shock. Clorox and Great Value bleach, both 6%, (plain, non-scented) are faves.

You can use the PoolCalculator.com to figure the shock dose based on your new CYA of 30.

See Pool School for details: pool-school/shocking_your_pool

Post back w/any q's you might have. We got lots of members ready to help :)

Did better today, went ahead and tested TA stayed about same dropped 1

FC - 3
TC - 3
CC - 0
PH - 7.2
TA - 120

Edit: Just saw our weather we could get 3 - 6 inches of rain by tomorrow afternoon, really need to put 6 inches of rain water in it

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey! ZERO CC! :goodjob: That's what I'm talking about :party:

You know with 30 CYA, your FC should be between 2 and 6 and never below 2. You are okay at 3, but I suggest you bump to 4 or 5 each evening to make sure you stay above 2.

Tonight I suggest you bump it at least to 6 because of the rain (& junk going into your pool). It is very easy to stay ahead of your water :wink: and avoid needing to shock :)

You prob only need to test TA monthly now. Test your pH and FC daily :goodjob:

See that's how you do it! Great job.
With rain, mean clouds, this means you don't lose a lot of chlorine to sunlight. Most of the time if you don't have a major storm, a rain day are fine. You could up you chlorine level up to max normal for your CYA. :idea:

Chuck

That's what I did Butterfly, added bleach for target 5 last night and so far as of this morning it has not rained but they dropped the Amt of rain to 1 - 2 so that's better. But I understand what u are saying, anytime there is real heavy rain or storms bump up the bleach a little. Also I understand supertune less sun less chlorine burn off.

Thank both of you very much for the help and helping me understand how to balance and adjust the water. Y'all made it easy for me to understand. I will continue to follow the guidelines and if I run into trouble I will post back.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.