Newbie - Should I drain my pool?

b1021

Dec 12, 2011
Recently purchased a house this past December. I've been reading on here and trying to learn about all the equipment. I've just been adding the chlorine pucks. I have a test kit and here are my numbers. I just want to confirm that I need to drain.

FC 2
TC 2
PH 8
TA 170
CA 750?? I live in arizona so figure this would be high.
CYA 100+

Thanks!

Yes, you either want to do a partial/complete drain and refill, or get a reverse osmosis treatment. Your CYA level is high enough to warrant the water replacement on its own. Your CA level (which I am assuming is the same as CH) is also very high.

It would be helpful to know how high your fill water CH level is. Very high fill water CH levels both make reverse osmosis treatments more attractive, and make things much more challenging if you don't get a reverse osmosis treatment.

JasonLion said:
Yes, you either want to do a partial/complete drain and refill, or get a reverse osmosis treatment. Your CYA level is high enough to warrant the water replacement on its own. Your CA level (which I am assuming is the same as CH) is also very high.

It would be helpful to know how high your fill water CH level is. Very high fill water CH levels both make reverse osmosis treatments more attractive, and make things much more challenging if you don't get a reverse osmosis treatment.

Mistype the CA - yes its CH. I tested the CH from my water hose and its 250.

b1021 said:
JasonLion said:

Mistype the CA - yes its CH. I tested the CH from my water hose and its 250.

Also - what chemicals do I need once its refilled?

This is the from the hose.

PH 7.8
TA 140
CH 250

I just did a 95% drain, acid wash and refill. I'm in the process of getting everything back on line. The reason for the drain was 7 year old pool water with a CH of 600. We were having major scaling issues. Our initial levels after refill were PH 8.0, Alk 200 CH 110 FC 4- I shocked and used bleach, CYA 0 and phosphates 300 according to Leslies. Yesterday, I added 13 lbs of conditioner which should bring me up to the high 50's low 60's CYA once it completely dissolves plus 2 more bags of salt which should put me around 3000 ppm or so. This morning I added 15 lbs of "hardness Plus" to bring my CH back up to between 160-200 ppm. I have been using bleach too until I get everything back up and then I'll turn on my SWG again. Tomorrow, I will start adding acid to bring my PH down. A few more days later I'll add Borax and more muriatic acid.

Just wanted you to be aware of the procedure right or wrong I did. The drain, acid wash and refill were a couple of days. Getting everything back and hopefully balanced will be a few more. Leslie's wanted me to keep throwing scale free and chemicals as a band -aid. I hoping this will be a more permanent and long lasting solution.

You're doing the right thing now. You won't be sorry you did it once you have it completely back under control.

You'll have to add quite a bit of acid to get the TA down to where the pH is stable. It's not something you need to be in a rush about just keep a close eye on the pH and adjust it often.

Thanks. I'm adding a gallon a day (acid at once) with the filter off to bring the TA down. I figure I've got a couple more days to go. I'm guessing it will take 3.5-4 gallons of acid total. After I get it balanced I'll add the borax (and more acid).

That's been debunked. It doesn't matter how you add it, it still has the same effect. The issue is that you can (and do) damage the pool by having a concentrated pool of acid laying on the bottom. Don't do that again! :whip: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Stick with this site and we won't steer you wrong.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Boland01 said:
One of the pool websites I was looking at yesterday said it was more effective to pour the acid in the deep end with the pump off to concentrate it more to be down the TA.

I cannot even imagine how someone comes up with this kook theory. Absolutely unreal....
Welcome to TFP. You will find some very knowledgeable folks here who love helping others. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.