Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The Liquidator question before I buy one..

1. Back To Top    #1

The Liquidator question before I buy one..

I have no way to keep it out of the sun. Is that a prob... Are can I just build a cover over it.. Are a box.. I have a shed but is 30 feet from pump... Any thoughts before I pull the trigger?
    33x52 AGP 25600 Sand filter 1.5 HP Hayward

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: The Liquidator question before I buy one..

The LQ is made from semi-tranparent plastic so I would certainly protect it from the sun....both for the uv degradtion of the plastic and possibly to help protect the chlorine as well.

If it won't look horrible, I might consider a 3-sided shelter facing away from the elements with a roof over it. Just the roof will be great, though.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

do I need to change the needle value as people here are talking about are will it hookup an run with what comes with it..
    33x52 AGP 25600 Sand filter 1.5 HP Hayward

4. Back To Top    #4

San Rafael, CA USA

The 3/8" upgrade will help help prevent "white stuff" which is calcium carbonate formation. It likely still forms a little, but with the larger openings it flows through instead of getting stuck. Make sure your CSI doesn't get too high and you could use 50 ppm Borates as well since that seemed to help in many, but not all, cases.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5
    SouthWest Alabama

The 3/8" upgrade certainly makes the unit operate better but it's not completely required.
    However, since you have an aboveground pool, you may want to consider it because they tend to have very low suction head, and therefore without the upgrade you have to partially close off the suction valve to get enough suction head to get the unit to work well.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

San Diego, CA

The needle valve is nice for fine tuning the rate of flow with the LQ. But it's not absolutely needed.
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

7. Back To Top    #7
    P'Burg NJ

The Liquidator question before I buy one..

I painted my liquidator with white spray paint for use on plastics. I taped a stripe on each of the 4 panels and marked a line for each of the 8 gallons of chlorine that the unit can hold.

I also installed the Hayward Needle Valve to adjust the flow.
    11,000 Gal Trilogy "Utopia" Fiberglass Pool, 1HP Jandy Pump, Jandy CS200 Cartridge Filter, Raypak 199k BTU Heater, Liquidator, CMP Off-Line Chlorinator. Cleaners: Polaris 360, Blue Diamond, Poolvernuegen Pressure