Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Scale Removal

1. Back To Top    #1

Scale Removal

My pool/spa was drained to replace the coping which was stained because of a poor concrete mix. While the pool is empty I want to remove the very slight scaling from the tile. The scaling is a 1/4" band less than the thickness of paint. The pool school recommends an acid wash. I don't want to stain the pebbletec so what should be the acid/water concentration ratio. What is the best way to apply the wash? Or, should I just use something like ajax or barkeepers friend? The pool will be refilled Tuesday so I need to get it done this weekend.

Thanks
    14,000 gallon outdoor in-ground plaster pool (PebbleTec); Jandy 2HP 2 speed pump; Jandy AquaLink RS Power Center; Jandy Model 1400 SWG (1.25 lb/24 hr chlorine); Jandy CV580 cartridge filter (580 sq ft), 150 gpm flow rate; Zodiac 400,000 BTU gas fired heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Scale Removal

Ajax or barkeepers friend would be my first choice because of convenience.

If you don't get the results you want, I would suggest starting with a 4:1 ratio water/muriatic. If it doesn't foam up when it contacts the scale, you will need to increase the strength until you do get foaming and the calcium will be removed.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

The barkeepers friend didn't do anything. I tried MA at about 3:1 but it didn't really do much either. I am afraid of staining (or worse) the pebbletec since there is no way to keep the acid wash from running. I might try using a stronger solution and a small foam paint brush then immediately hose it off. Any other thoughts?
    14,000 gallon outdoor in-ground plaster pool (PebbleTec); Jandy 2HP 2 speed pump; Jandy AquaLink RS Power Center; Jandy Model 1400 SWG (1.25 lb/24 hr chlorine); Jandy CV580 cartridge filter (580 sq ft), 150 gpm flow rate; Zodiac 400,000 BTU gas fired heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

Since it's on the tile, a pumice stone and some elbow grease should do it. It will sound awful, but somehow it doesn't seem to scratch the way you'd think by the sound. You may also want to stock up on Motrin. And beer.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!