In a Pool Fight

jck

LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2010
Started about 6 days ago... Open pool back up. Green. fixed ph.. Had no cya added that. Started adding bleach to keep pool above 20 at all times.. last nights drop was 4 from 23 to 19. Pool is cloudy. Brush pool everyday. Is there hope in sight are am i doing something wrong I done see..

Is there hope in sight are am i doing something wrong I done see..
Ahhhh! Patience, Grasshopper, Patience. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

This is the reason we really emphasize the PROCESS part of the shock process. It can take 24 hours (for the lucky few) and sometimes more than a week (usually in pools with poor filtration capacity)

Brush your pool as often as practicable, backwash/clean your filter as necessary and, above all, keep your FC at that shock level as you have been doing. A loss of 4ppm FC means you are still killing organics in your water and the cloudiness comes from those already killed.

You might review the Shock Process in Pool School to make sure you are covering all the bases.

There is a sparkling pool in your future. :-D

If you opened to no cya and know you had some when you closed, you may have experiencd the mystery of cya eating bacteria over the winter. The by-product of this is ammonia and it takes a lot of bleach to get rid of ammonia, but once it is gone the rest of the shock process should go smoothly.

still dealing with it..

Kinda coming along..

numbers tonight

Fc 10
CC .05
TC 10.5
PH 7.5
CYA 20 but still going up..

Pool still cloudy.. but can see the brush at the bottom now some what..

Numbers are holding steading But pool is still cloudy as heck,, There has to be something i can do to clear it up/... I mean going on 2 weeks is a long time..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Almost 3 weeks .. Don't have a clue what happen to take so long.. But vacuum an vacuum an more vacuum an can finally can see the bottom of the pool.. Stilll have a way to go but the rules are working.. Thanks for all the help I get here..

This whole pool deal this year sucks.. Pool still is a bit cloudy can see the bottom but when in it.. But its still cloudy.. i hate this pool so bad..

Numbers

fc 4
cc .5
tc 4.5
ph 7.6
ta 120
ch100
cya 30

how do it get it to clear up.. .

It sounds like you have not completed the shock process. The shock process is not complete until all of these criteria have been met.
Shocking:

Measure the FC level
Add enough chlorine to bring FC up to shock level (or a little higher)
Repeat steps 1 and 2 as frequently as practical, but not more than once per hour, and not less than twice a day, until:
CC is 0.5 or lower;
An overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less;
And the water is clear.

Brush the entire pool once a day
Backwash or clean the filter as needed

Until all the criteria have been met you need to keep the pool at shock level. From your last few posts it doesn't look like you have been at shock level.

You also may want to pull out your ladder or steps and scrub them down with a bleach/water solution. Algae can hide in nooks and crannies where water does not circulate well and prolong the shock process.

Ohm_Boy said:
Are there leaves or other debris on the pool bottom? Do you still lose FC overnight?

no leaves.. nada... just cloudy water.. Lose less the one over night.. like .5 most days.. I have been checking it every day for a long time now..

zea3 said:
It sounds like you have not completed the shock process. The shock process is not complete until all of these criteria have been met.
Shocking:

Measure the FC level
Add enough chlorine to bring FC up to shock level (or a little higher)
Repeat steps 1 and 2 as frequently as practical, but not more than once per hour, and not less than twice a day, until:
CC is 0.5 or lower;
An overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less;
And the water is clear.

Brush the entire pool once a day
Backwash or clean the filter as needed

Until all the criteria have been met you need to keep the pool at shock level. From your last few posts it doesn't look like you have been at shock level.

You also may want to pull out your ladder or steps and scrub them down with a bleach/water solution. Algae can hide in nooks and crannies where water does not circulate well and prolong the shock process.

all of this has been done.. Have not put the latter back in at all yet..

The part we are struggling with is that you say you met the 3 shocking requirements (CC<0.5, OCLT<1, water clear), but then turn around and say the water is cloudy. Which is it?

Was the water clear and then you let the FC drop to 4 and now it is cloudy again?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.