Well water as fill water

mwkelly

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 11, 2012
Does the hardness test in the TF100 just measure calcuim hardness or both calcuim and magnesium?

I purchased a TF100 and am waiting on it to arrive and wanted to know if it is a good kits for testing well water (for the basics that is).

TIA.

Welcome to TFP!

The TF-100 kit only tests for calcium hardness. You can purchase testing supplies for other metals, but they are expensive and not worth keeping on hand for individual use. Typically, you can go to a pool store and have them check a sample for the presence of iron, manganese, and other metals common in the area. They should do it free of charge.

Swimming Pool Test Strips will test TH (total Hardness) but, to my knowledge, none can test for Calcium Hardness which is what we care about in swimming pools. The drops based test in the TF-100 and other Taylor kits test for Calcium Hardness.

I remember that the initial drops of R-0010 will precipitate out the magnesium (and other metals) so you can get a result that is ONLY Calcium Hardness but I'll be darned if I can remember why the magnesium is not important in pools.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.