Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Well water as fill water

1. Back To Top    #1

Well water as fill water

Does the hardness test in the TF100 just measure calcuim hardness or both calcuim and magnesium?

I purchased a TF100 and am waiting on it to arrive and wanted to know if it is a good kits for testing well water (for the basics that is).

33ft Round AGP (24.5K gal), Waterway Hi-Flo 1.5 hp/2spd DE filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Stowe, VT

Re: Well water as fill water

To my knowledge it does not test for manganese or magnesium. I think I recall LaMotte having a testing agent for this, but maybe not.
    69,000 Gal gunite indoor IG pool.
    5 HP Emerson - Pentair Triton II Commercial TR140c Sand Filter x2
    5,000 Gal gunite outdoor IG hot tub
    2 HP Sta-Rite - Pentair Triton II Commercial TR140c Sand Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Flower Mound, TX

Welcome to TFP!

The TF-100 kit only tests for calcium hardness. You can purchase testing supplies for other metals, but they are expensive and not worth keeping on hand for individual use. Typically, you can go to a pool store and have them check a sample for the presence of iron, manganese, and other metals common in the area. They should do it free of charge.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Swimming Pool Test Strips will test TH (total Hardness) but, to my knowledge, none can test for Calcium Hardness which is what we care about in swimming pools. The drops based test in the TF-100 and other Taylor kits test for Calcium Hardness.

I remember that the initial drops of R-0010 will precipitate out the magnesium (and other metals) so you can get a result that is ONLY Calcium Hardness but I'll be darned if I can remember why the magnesium is not important in pools.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Petaluma, Ca

I filled from my well, there was no iron in the water but "some" manganese. The pool guy added some sequestrant (sp.) when we filled. Haven't had any issues so far.
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.