Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: what do we do with the antifreeze?

1. Back To Top    #1

Fort Wayne, IN

what do we do with the antifreeze?

we have unseasonably warm weather here in Indiana. We are thinking about opening the pool, but don't know what to do with the antifreeze in the lines. I have searched TFP, but did not find an adequate answer. Also, I did see a section about opening above ground pools, but there is not a section in Pool School entitled 'opening an in ground pool'. The kids are really excited for a super long swim season. But first we have to fish all the goggles out of the bathtub. Thanks TFP!!
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

2. Back To Top    #2
    West KY

Re: what do we do with the antifreeze?

If RV/Pool antifreeze was used, it's my understanding this is safe to allow into your pool water.

Sent From My Inspire 4G Using Tapatalk
    18x36 Vinyl IG ~27,000 gal, Intelliflo VF Pump, 300# Sand Filter, Polaris 280 w/Pentair Booster Pump, Pentair EasyTouch w/ IC40 SWCG
    TF100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    Western Piedmont, NC

Re: what do we do with the antifreeze?

To open my inground pool, I just reverse the steps I did to close it (as far as getting the lines back open and parts reinstalled) - then I start testing and adjusting. And if you used pool antifreeze, it is okay to go into the water once you start the pump. It will probably affect the water color at first (turned mine a gorgeous dark blue) but it will break down pretty quickly.
    18x36 IG Vinyl, 8.5 deep, 28K, Hayward C4025 SwimClear Filter, Hayward SP2607X10 Super Pump 1HP